.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: update on progress page

What about putting a limit on the # of tartians summonable?
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Actually, the lack of hammers in CBM 1.7 might just increase this problem. I have been playing in kings of drama using CBM 1.7 for 33 turns now, and I have yet to see a single thug in the game so far. I'm sort of starting to doubt I will see one until the tartarians start showing up. Because they are the only chassis that are powerful enough that you can afford to put expensive equipment on them without hammers.

Of course, all those gems are probably going somewhere else instead. But were? I don't know?
Oh I doubt that. There are plenty of chasises that are effective enough with a frost brand and vine shield or something similarly priced, and a smaller number that can get away with just a good shield if you're clever about it. 15 gems (plus the cost of the chasis) is a very reasonable price for something that can reliably clear PD out as a raider, and not *that* far from the 10 it'd cost you with hammers. Heck, you'd have to outfit three thugs thusly to break even for the cost of your first hammer, and assuming you were making multiple hammers before its not much of a stretch at all to say you could easily outfit 10+ light thugs with the same number of gems you were doing your first 10 thugs using hammers. Thing is, most people tend to go overboard and use 50 gems worth of equipment when 15 would work. Know what you want to accomplish, and use just enough resources to reliably do that.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM

BANNED USER

TheConway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Not possible.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Unless you made them all unique.

BTW someone in the irc channel pointed out that the note on limiting GoR does say its a modding note. So unless thats an error this might be an added way for us to limit it, not the game itself
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:57 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: update on progress page

Quote:
Actually I disagree with removing hammers and feel the solution for Tartarians should be creating new summoning spells and offensive spells which are specific for Tartarians and SuperCombatants.
A) A spell which summons 10 weak units which have the #horrormark trait... thus when struck leave a horrormark. Gem price makes them not useful against mages or regular troops, but valuable against supercombatants.
B) A spell which summons 5 average units and are size 4 which have two melee attacks... one which does increased damage to larger units and another which does increased damage to undead. Gem price makes them not useful against mages or regular troops, but valuable against the large undead supercombatants.
C) A spell which summons 2 strong flying units which are size 5 with lots of life with armor negating missile weapons which do extra damage against larger units, yet only last for the duration of the battle. Gem price makes them not useful against mages or regular troops, but valuable against the Tartarians.

I could easily provide a list of offensive spells as well, yet I don't have the time for the modding.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:22 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

QUESTION: What's the most recent update??

"2nd January 2010
* --nonationinfo is now implemented. "
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Good catch.
I looked right at that and didnt see it. I'll let Johan know
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:19 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJedi View Post
Quote:
Actually I disagree with removing hammers and feel the solution for Tartarians should be creating new summoning spells and offensive spells which are specific for Tartarians and SuperCombatants.
A) A spell which summons 10 weak units which have the #horrormark trait... thus when struck leave a horrormark. Gem price makes them not useful against mages or regular troops, but valuable against supercombatants.
B) A spell which summons 5 average units and are size 4 which have two melee attacks... one which does increased damage to larger units and another which does increased damage to undead. Gem price makes them not useful against mages or regular troops, but valuable against the large undead supercombatants.
C) A spell which summons 2 strong flying units which are size 5 with lots of life with armor negating missile weapons which do extra damage against larger units, yet only last for the duration of the battle. Gem price makes them not useful against mages or regular troops, but valuable against the Tartarians.

I could easily provide a list of offensive spells as well, yet I don't have the time for the modding.
I think this is a much more palatable solution than limiting hammers.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM

BANNED USER

TheConway is on a distinguished road

Post your ideas in the CBM thread, qm might see them then.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding on the rationale for making hammers unique. It was not intended to significantly address the tartarian problem (hopefully the new patch will allow that through GoR), the issue was the ubiquitousness of hammers. The game could not be competitively played without them, this greatly skewed pretender creation (the e3 factor alone was making many pretender chassis simply unusable in games without trading), was well as gem usage and research. Not to mention creating micromanagement for basically no reason.