.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paralysis is overpowered.

I've said this before, but since we're taking about perception I'll say it again.

The real problem with people's perception in this regard is that many have concluded that paralysis equals death. This is not true in the same way that paralysis equals removed from battle. Though the spell is intended to remove the unit, it still has a presence on the field and can be attacked. If paralyzed the unit is also not dead and can even be more harmful to the enemy by being unable to retreat.

If paralysis is as bad as you claim then, by all means, counter it with combatants that don't care. Use fire shields, poison clouds, or items that auto-cast spells. Then stack on protection and now it matters less that you can't move, attack, or defend yourself. If your really sick of your SCs dying all together then learn to always play with death magic and use immortal units with a strong dominion strategy.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations

Last edited by AreaOfEffect; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:55 AM..
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM

Sergeant

Adept is on a distinguished road

Funnily enough this thread wasn't about super combatants, but about the paralysis spell in general.

I listed those MR's to remind people of the scale of the game. MR 15 is quite decent for a thug (like a sleeper).
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM

Sergeant

[quote=konming;635836][quote=Adept;635830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post

And if the other party has several astral mages, you should not expect your MR 23 SC to stay alive. Several astral mage and a decent army or strong PD is enough of an investment to defeat a (wrongly geared) SC. You should come and see MP more often.
MP? If you are talkign about multiplay, as in playign against other humans, I've been doing that since early days of the original dominions.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adept View Post
Funnily enough this thread wasn't about super combatants, but about the paralysis spell in general.

I listed those MR's to remind people of the scale of the game. MR 15 is quite decent for a thug (like a sleeper).
How many decent players spam paralyze on sleeper grade thugs? Even in your sleeper example, you can bring a single elephant and laugh at all the puny paralyzing efforts. Now tell me, if this spell is not about SCs, then what is it about in the many MP games you played? At least I hear no complains about "my elephants are paralyzed for too long" argument. Care to read your original post again?

Last edited by konming; September 2nd, 2008 at 12:06 PM..
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:

MR 15 is pretty bad, actually. I would consider 20 a bare minimum against astral heavy nations.

Jazzepi
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

If it is a SC, I would get him 25+ MR. Rainbow armor+AMA shall do the trick. If facing heavy astral, I would also do iron will/resist magic if possible and against R'lyeh, you better go 27+.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Sergeant

[quote=konming;635846]
Quote:

How many decent players spam paralyze on sleeper grade thugs? Even in your sleeper example, you can bring a single elephant and laugh at all the puny paralyzing efforts. Now tell me, if this spell is not about SCs, then what is it about in the many MP games you played? At least I hear no complains about "my elephants are paralyzed for too long" argument. Care to read your original post again?
Huh?

You are probably insinuating something, but being too cute about it. I can't make you out.

Why should I care about elephants getting paralysed? I don't much like trampling units, as I think they are handled badly (it's the automatic 1 point of damage regardless of defense, and the fact that one can trample the same unit several times in a round).

I'm a painfully honest person, and do not brag about things that aren't true. I can try to find out when I wrote to Kristoffer originally to get a copy of Dominions. Money in an envelope type of thing

Anyway, if you have something to say be an adult and say it without playing coy. Our play styles may differ, but I have been playing this game passionately for a long time. I don't solo play, because we practically always have a MP going.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by konming View Post
If it is a SC, I would get him 25+ MR. Rainbow armor+AMA shall do the trick. If facing heavy astral, I would also do iron will/resist magic if possible and against R'lyeh, you better go 27+.
The game was late era. I was playing Ulm and the opponent in question was playing Bogarus.

Bogarus is not an "astral heavy nation" in my book.

It's not just about pretenders getting stopped in their tracks. It's an easily accessible low level spell, which is very, very effective at stopping tartarian gate monsters and the like.

I like it being effective, but not the extremely long durations. As to what the duration should be, it seems very hard to have a civilised conversation about it.

Maybe the open ended d6 + power is too little. Possibly the formula should take MR into account. All I can say is that I find the current ones to be too long and the penetration to be too good & easy to ramp up.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Might not be bad if Paralysis also took into account a unit's speed, since a faster unit (faster can generally be assumed to mean a higher metabolic rate) would logically (logically enough for Dom3 anyway) recover more quickly.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Paralyze is not that scary. It will always target the highest hit point unit, so you just need to bring along another SC to be the target and give him lead shield, rainbow armor, astral cap and AMA for 31 MR.

What is more, the paralyze spammers will continue to cast paralyze on the already paralyzed unit if there are no more targets of his size. Bring one elephant with your army and you'll see that he continues to be targeted even when already paralyzed.
This is confirmed as NOT TRUE.

I had a Size 3 prophet with ~150ish hp and 3 size 6 heros with 72hp.

Only the first paralyze went to the prophet. When it made its save, subsequent paralyzes went to various heroes.

But this is pretty obvious in fact; were it true you would never have more than one unit paralyzed in a fight.

The selection algorythmn has to be based on other factors. I suggest that hp, size, and closeness are all relevent, as is whether the unit is already paralyzed.