The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
World Fury 2014

The DVD, Fury set in a 1945, starring Brad Pitt and Shia Lebouf portraying a Sherman tank five-man crew against the best remaining Wehrmacht tanks. If anyone has seen this movie as it involves armor, although of the second World War, but armor nevertheless, please comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fury 2014

No movie is perfect and this one has some awkward scenes but overall its worth the money just to see the an authentic running Tiger I. If it moves in this movie, it's authentic. There is a scene near the beginning with static tanks that aren't

Don
Old January 24th, 2015, 01:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Fury 2014

Apparently all the vehicles used in the movie was supposed to authentic all the armor definitely was. Much like in the movie "American Graffiti" where all the cars used came from private owners, the owners of "FURY" were quite nervous about possible damage to the tank in the final battle scene. Of note the general tactic shown of the Shermans attacking the Tiger is almost correct, it would take 4 to 6 Shermans to take out the Tiger a couple to distract it while the rest tried to work around to it's rear. They took advantage of their speed and reliability to overcome the slower speed and slower traverse of the Tigers turret. There is the verified case also though of the Tiger that took around I believe 52 tanks before either retiring or taken out on the battlefield.I think History Channel for the 60th (?) anniversary did like a two-hour special on the Sherman and it's crews through interviews of the participates with among others is where I got the above tactical info from. I personally enjoyed it myself on the IMAX screen.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old January 24th, 2015, 08:44 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road

Though I havn't seen it, all the reviews I read were good. They say the scene with the Tiger tank was one of the best ever. I, like many people are looking forward to buying it on DVD.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:05 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I've seen it.
VERY well done, not just the armor and other props but the dialog and general attitude.
About the only seriously "Hollywood" parts were one where Pitts' character made the noob shoot a German - in front of a LOT of witnesses. And the final battle where one immobile Sherman beat the hell out an entire SS Company, with panzerfausts.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 30th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Corporal

Paderborn is on a distinguished road

Based on the forum movie reviews we picked up the DVD from the library over the weekend. Very well done! I was a little surprised at the tactics the Shermans followed in taking down the Tiger. I guess I would have expected with the slow traverse of the Tiger's turret that the Shermans would have fanned out more rather than come at it in what seemed to me to be a narrow front. Still, the acting was pretty good and yes, it's fascinating to see a Tiger
"runner" in the film.
Anybody out there who's seen Cross of Iron have any comments? Several very good actors appear in the 1977 movie including James Coburn and James Mason.
Old April 6th, 2015, 04:30 PM

Corporal

Miketee10022 is on a distinguished road

Cross of Iron is a very good movie. But I believe most of the German tanks used in that were modified T-34's (ie different turret, etc.). I need to research that more. But if you want to see some good original equipment, try The Bridge at Remagen - about the US efforts to cross the Rhine at Remagen. They used a lot of Czech equipment, if I am not mistaken, that had just been retirned or was about to be. Troop carries, jeeps, etc. Thanks for the reviews of Fury!
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketee10022 For This Useful Post:
Old April 6th, 2015, 05:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Another movie worth seeing (in spite of it's "Hollywood" moments). Is "Big Red One".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7jwYpAM6RU

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:25 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

The most "authentic" WW2 movie ever made Theirs is the Glory a retelling of the battle around arnhem during Market Garden. It was fillmed in 1946 in the actual locations using real kit (Panther, Tiger[clip of the tiger], etc) and many of the "actors" were present at the actual event. Some corny acting and forced dialogue, but as a piece of history - priceless.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Corporal

-Luc- is on a distinguished road

Hi,
My favorite war movie untill now: Stalingrad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVvoo1qFPDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHzs4PtqIE
What a movie.
-Luc-