BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Default A modded PBW game.

HI I'M ALIVE!!!

Anyway I've been playing with the Devnull and Fyron's Quadrant mod and I've made a few tweaks of my own to the game.

The main things I've done is:

I added Void shields which are MUCH more powerful then Phased shields (makes sense when you face down the main weapon I added)

I've added the I-Las Cannon which is a level 13 APB beam with increased range, reduced accuracy and MUCH more powerful firepower while still being less (per shot) fire then say a wave motion gun.

And I've added Titanite armor, which is basically a much more advanced version of Ablative armor, it is 5kt per unit, takes 30kt of damage and ignores damage less then 150 pts (basically it wont pop to a single fighter like previous armor incarnations).

I've modded the ship sizes increasing Dreadnoughts on up QUITE a BIT over battleships and below to the point where a fully teched out Dread can take on 2-3 fully teched battleships with full confidence of winning. (they are also more expensive)

I've added:
Flag Monitors
Motherships
Battlemoons

Each with bigger size ending with the 30 megaton Battlemoon!

I've tweaked the production levels on space yards and Base spaceyards to compensate for the much much larger ship sizes, with the best technology being in a Base Spaceyard lvl 3.

I know at first this all sounds rather overwhelming but my main goal other then just playing was to make late game battles far more interesting for the player/players by adding more components of the battle.

So tell me what ya'll think so far and if anyone would be interesting in setting up a PBW game for it.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A modded PBW game.

At first glance, it looks very munchkin.

How did you go about balancing this new stuff?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:44 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Actually fairly easily, the new weapons and shields/armor balance out very well against one another, its just another step up in technology that wasn't there in the previous game and adds a bit more interesting tactics then.

Shield Depleter+APB=ultimate combo!

The I-Las is basically just a lot more expensive and more powerful version of the APB that works really well against phase shields and below but only about average vs void shields.

As far as the ship sizes goes, well everyone gets the same ship size

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Isn't this just another level of uberweapons tacked on to the tech tree, though?
Shouldn't there at least two viable weapons usable in the end game?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Well there are Frag cannons which I also added in, they are short range but extremely accurate and can be damaging if you use them properly.

But besides the "end game" always fell down to APB/Shield Depleters anyway so no real loss to anything there.

Except now there are much stronger shields, better armor, better weapons and bigger ships.

This is also pretty much just a prototype for a mod I want to make later on that will have different tech trees for different races.