Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old July 4th, 2003, 01:42 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

Leaders

I believe that a good model would be the leaders system in Medieval: Total War. Leaders should have a definite physical presence (as opposed to being an abstract package of game effects as in MOO3). As such they can be killed when the ship / base / planet / ground troop unit / fighter group etc. they are on is destroyed, assassinated, take time to move between locations etc.

There should be no practical limit on the number of leaders per empire, although you might specify that there can only be one "active" leader per ship / base / planet / ground troop unit / fighter group etc., and the rest are only passengers / cargo so their bonuses don't apply.

Leaders should have some basic stats, such as Space Combat Command, Ground Combat Command, Acumen (efficiency at being a bureaucrat), Dread (efficiency of keeping troops and population under control), Loyalty (resistance to being bribed), Toughness (resistance to assassination attempts, personal proficiency in ground combat) etc.

They also have special "Vices & Virtues" that are generated randomly / gained through events and have in-game effects. For example, a leader who you consistently assign to a fighter group and excels at it (wins many battles) will eventually gain an "Expert Pilot" trait, a leader who retreats from combat a few times gets a "Coward" trait, a leader who governs a planet that builds a few large-scale infrastructure projects get the "Master Builder" trait and so on. There should be a maintenance cost for leaders as well that goes up as they become more powerful. Oh, and of course, they can have any kind of special ability you want, example if piloting a cloaked vessel, increase the effective level of cloaking ability by some set amount etc.

You get leaders from random events, by building some special buildings (training academies, universities) that add to your pool of recruitable leaders, popping up from un-led ships / units that excel in combat, by bribing enemy leaders, by capturing enemy leaders and turning them to your side etc.

Each empire should have a number of Posts / titles that it can award to leaders. More Posts / titles can be generated by building special one-per-empire buildings. Example: build a one-per-empire StarFleet Command Headquarters to generate the Fleet Admiral post. Award that post to an existing leader to vastly increase his Space Combat Command ability and so forth. Other Posts / titles can be generated by building special one-per-system or one-per-planet buildings, example, build a System Seat of Government to generate a System Governor post. In general, giving Posts to leaders increases their loyalty. Stripping them of Posts vastly reduces their loyalty. In M:TW you had to physically send an emissary to the leader to strip his titles. I don't believe that this is necessary here, you might make it so that leaders with relatively low loyalties already have a good chance of rebelling if they are stripped of titles, perhaps taking ships, troops or planets with them.

For even more fun, make it so that keeping your Fleet Admiral at StarFleet Command Headquarters gives a slight bonus to all of your deployed fleets while assigning him to one specific fleet gives a vast bonus to that specific fleet alone.

Posts / titles available and the buildings that generate them should be race / empire specific. Also make the ability to attract wandering leaders a race / empire trait.

Finally, should the emperor himself be a physical leader as in M:TW? I don't believe this to be necessary. It made sense in M:TW because of leaders riding into battle, princes as successors and so on, but I don't believe it makes sense in terms of an SE game.
Old July 4th, 2003, 01:54 AM

Private

Joe Cool is on a distinguished road

I would love to be able to save progress on my turn, open it later, and continue working on it.
Old July 4th, 2003, 04:47 AM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by deccan:
Leaders
words, words, words
Something like this would be great. But it doesn't have to be Part of the Game, just build into the game the ability to let us mod this.

Oh yeah, and let Leaders go Rogue, taking Planets, Ships, or just Troop stacks with them (moddable like everything).

[ July 04, 2003, 03:48: Message edited by: Loser ]
Old July 4th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by deccan:
Does StarFury use warp points as well, or aren't you allowed to say?
Quote:
Originally posted at Shrapnel's SF salespage
As captain of your battle cruiser, you'll travel through solar systems via warp points, ...
Old July 4th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

I WANT TOAST!
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 5th, 2003, 12:52 AM

Corporal

Me Loonn is on a distinguished road

Woo !
Just figured what might stop retro exploiting.

Make max difference when retroing to 10-15% and not the 50% what it is now.
Old July 5th, 2003, 12:59 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

More miscellaneous requests:

1. Make a start game option in which all players' characteristics and traits are hidden from each other.

2. Make sure that the Tech reports correctly remembers all tech levels inferred from scanned ships, facilities seen on planets, spying activities etc.
Old July 5th, 2003, 01:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I would like to go through all of the threads and put all of the suggestions into catagories so that Aaron can review them. There are literally a thousand plus suggestions for SEV spread over at least 10 threads in two or more forums catagories and more than one overall forum.

So if you do continue to post suggestions PLEASE put then under a catagory. Now we need suggestions for the catagories. Any one want to offer a few?

Economy
--Resources Managment
--Economic Structure

Intel
Research
Setup
Combat
Map

Game Play
--Graphics
--Documentation

Politics
--Trade
--Diplomacy
Old July 5th, 2003, 01:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by narf poit chez BOOM:
I WANT TOAST!
Narf, posting this stuff all over the place is not funny in the slightest.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 5th, 2003, 01:43 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
quote:
Originally posted by narf poit chez BOOM:
I WANT TOAST!
Narf, posting this stuff all over the place is not funny in the slightest.
Actually, I did smirk when I saw it.

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall