.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM

Private

Conq is on a distinguished road
Default tide turning items

so im still playing dom2 (being a broke college student really sucks) but from following this forum I can tell that a lot of things carried over from dom2. I like to play pretty huge maps against a difficult AI, and I tend to go pretty slow to the point where the ai has huge substandard armies that win by virtue of being so big.

So I was kitting out my water queen and decided to forge the soulstone of the wolves, and holy crap this item is awesome. The fact that it constantly calls wolves is pretty cool, but the best part is that it completely throws off the opposing army, archers shoot in all directions and you can forget a cavalry charge, by the time my water queen gets into the thick of it there is guys running around all over the place. So with this item on a SC and a little army of living statues i'm able to decimate armies 10x larger.

Are there any other items that can win a battle all by themselves? If there are some new ones in dom3 lemme know too since im hoping to get it eventually
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM

Private

woodyweaver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tide turning items

While not an army, a spell -- Mass Enslave -- will do it. If you can get the spell off, then it isn't uncommon for half the enemy army to be yours (depending upon thee and their magic penetration/resistance) and they will spend another chunk of time fighting amongst themselves until they route.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:36 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

The aegis is probably the best example. It will destroy armies of the sort that you're fighting pretty easily. There's also the ankh that automatically casts life after death in a battle... not quite a battle winner, but still potentially pretty good for that. Or the ark, which kills and diseases anything that isn't yours and sacred.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

On paper gate-stone (I never used it) looks pretty nasty too. If I read it right it's an infinite astral pathway without the laboratory restriction, with large number of provinces, I don't see how you can defend all your provinces against an unrestricted teleporting army.

I'm unsure whether assassination spells / mass mage teleport can intercept the gate-stone army, and frankly the gate-stone holder will have great MR and likely astral magic, not to mention a pretty damn powerful thug (I wouldn't trust anything but the best with a gate-stone), a vortex of returning script vs mass mage intercept will make for a slippery army indeed.

Gate stone's price certainly seem to speak for how powerful it is, 65/65 S/E ...

Otherwise I like the sword of Auregelmer (or however it's spelled), not game breaking but oh-so-nice.
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:57 AM

General

The gate stone is a very powerful item. I just didn't include it since it seemed he wanted items that were powerful in battle. Which it isn't exactly, though it could definitely turn the tide on the strategic map.

The sword of aurgelmer is a pretty powerful battle-winning item that I missed though. Funnily enough, I combined that with the gate stone in a game, on a fog warriors mage. It was an SP game so I was not that worried about teleports :P
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:12 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

The unquenched sword can easily decide battles.
Armor of virtue allows you do to very cool things.
The sword Aurelgelmer.
The horror harmonica in VERY niche cases

The arks only real use is against undead, but especailly mendahr.
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

The Chalice does not change battles BUT it will eventually win the war because it heals undead.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Private

Conq is on a distinguished road

I've never used the sword of Aurelgelmer (is it in dom2?) and whats good about it? And i've never forged the Ankh, the description sounds cool but i'm not sure how it works, does it just give life after death to the wielder or to your army or what?

I use the gatestone and the chalice a lot, so I know how those work.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM

General

Aurgelmer casts will of the fates in every battle, so all your soldiers automatically have luck. No idea if that sword is in dom2 or not. And the ankh gives life after death to your entire army.

The ark isn't *great* because it takes a while for it to do its job. And it's not that useful against things with high morale. But it can still make a difference, especially on AI-like hordes of chaff.
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Aurgelmer casts will of the fates in every battle, so all your soldiers automatically have luck. No idea if that sword is in dom2 or not. And the ankh gives life after death to your entire army.

The ark isn't *great* because it takes a while for it to do its job. And it's not that useful against things with high morale. But it can still make a difference, especially on AI-like hordes of chaff.
I love the ankh. Being an autocast on a 4? gem spell makes it a battle changer.

And it is: swarm (or similar) + ankh or other spell makes for a very handy, portable, potentially stealthy army. Toss in a coupe of wraith crowns on some druids and you're good to go