.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM

Corporal

Zywack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multi-Player After Action Report (Introductions, early game posturing underway)

First of, I want to say a huge "Thank you!" for creating this game! I absolutely adore reading AARs, and shared is even better. I'll definitively be reading your thread with great interest. If I wasn't in two games already I would have been happy to be a player in this game, but being just a reader isn't all that bad either!

I respect every Pangaea players. In strategy games in general, I tend to prefer quantity over quality so one of the first race I ever played was EA Pangaea (vs AI). With Maenads and carrion beasts (although MA and LA have easier access to the carrion), the amount of free troops is just absolutely mind-blowing... Castle-walls just disapear against those hordes. Problem is, those hordes disapear just as fast as soon as they fight anything that has decent protection. And since they usually go berzerk, you are sure to lose all of them every losing battle. Still, I quickly reached the point where I couldn't actually lose them fast enough: I had to recruit tons of commanders and even summon sleepers (super high leadership and good bow users) for the purpose of bringing hundreds of them to the front each turn, else they'd just eat all the supplies wherever my pans were. It was fun at first, but it quickly turned into a huge headache to manage... Plus, the Carrions creatures comes in a ton of different variety. You got archers, you have tramplers, you have high-speed flankers and you got super-slow infantries. To get the best use out of those, you need to separate them according to their function, but that's a huge pain since you have no ways to decide what type your carrion centaurs/ladies are making in the first place. I know that Pangaea have other fun tricks up their sleeves, but I simply couldn't stomach all the micromanaging of those armies every single turn. So my heart goes to any Pangaea player that has Maenads and Carrions as part of their strategy

Everytime I look at Marverni, I scratch my head and wonder exactly how I would play them... While I'm quite a new player, I can still look at the recruitment screen/research list and have an idea at the basic strategy I'd employ. Marverni is one of the few nations I can't do that. They are surrounded by giants everywhere, endless forest hordes, blessed killing machines with two lives and glamour/sneaking/flying quality armies. Marverni has easy communion potential, mages that simply scream for Rain of Stone spam and plentiful standards but they just don't look up to par to me overall... Not amazing unique spells, map move 1 old age mages for main caster (Although recruit-everywhere is extremely handy), no real standout amazing fighting unit, acceptable but not amazing thugs. I'm really looking foward to see what the Marverni player has in store so I can see what I missed!
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM

Sergeant

Shardphoenix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multi-Player After Action Report (Introductions, early game posturing underway)

Quote:
Everytime I look at Marverni, I scratch my head and wonder exactly how I would play them...
Strength-boost + javelins can kill giants and those awesome druids for magic. Reverse-communion of druids spamming Gifts from Heaven kills just about anything (well, except for maenad hordes - against them you need Master Enslave... Good thing your druids can do it almost as easy as Rlyeh).
Also, their national Great Boar summons have like 30 fortune-teller (while also being essentially elephants with berserk and high leadership), so you can try playing Marverni with really high Misfortune.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(well, except for maenad hordes - against them you need Master Enslave... Good thing your druids can do it almost as easy as Rlyeh).
That's the beauty of my plan. I will swarm you in maenads that will eat all the food in your territory and bring diseases to your druids, eventually killing them all.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:26 AM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road

Would it be possible to get a 6 hour turn delay?

I wound up out of town for the whole day today (have web access from my laptop, but no game access). I'll get back in town tomorrow for a lunchtime root canal, but should be able to get the turn in after that.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

Mightypeon is on a distinguished road

As an interested observer: Against masses of Maenads, Maverni can greatly improve its gross national product with by significantly increasing Blade Wind Based Maenadic Sashimi production.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:49 AM

Captain

Immaculate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Would it be possible to get a 6 hour turn delay?
done.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

I got my turn in, but it looks like llamaserver is having some issues. I haven't received anything regarding the turn being received, etc.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM

Sergeant

Shardphoenix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightypeon View Post
As an interested observer: Against masses of Maenads, Maverni can greatly improve its gross national product with by significantly increasing Blade Wind Based Maenadic Sashimi production.
SOOOOO TRUE!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Sorry. ISP went down this afternoon. Should be back up imminently.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
The Following User Says Thank You to llamabeast For This Useful Post:
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM

Corporal

Zywack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardphoenix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightypeon View Post
SOOOOO TRUE!
Yeah, it's probably a better option than Master Enslave... If you Master Enslave, not only you have to spend a non-negligeable amount of astral pearls, but you are also stuck with hundreds of Maenads on your hands.

I did know about the gift from heaven spam (first thing that came to mind looking at their rooster), but I keep confusing that spell name for Rain of Stone for some reason.

I never tried the Strength Boosts + Javelin concept, but that definitively sound promising... I'll definitively have to experiment with that against the AI. Thanks for the hint! And maybe we'll see it in action in this Let's Play too... Although I'm still rooting for Pangaea first and foremost.