PDA

View Full Version : Tech tree

chagarra
August 21st, 2000, 04:39 AM
Posted this on SE4C, but it would be much more sensible to post it here......

With the difference between SE3, and SE4, regarding tech trees, surely somewhere a text file exists describing the functions, that is, cost and benefit analysis, for all the new techs, and their abilities. Or are we expected to spend hours establishing which does what, and when, to whom.

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

jars_u
August 21st, 2000, 05:15 PM
There is a full tech tree in the game, as far as what you need to research in order to be able to use certain technology. But, it is not very clear. A printed description and an actual tree in the final game would be nice.

Jim

Jeb
August 22nd, 2000, 01:54 AM
It would be a bit premature to work out a full analysis of all the different techs at this point, because Malfador says they're going to tweak the tech tree for play balance, to make organics and radioactives more useful, etc. before they release the full Version.

matt2000
September 1st, 2000, 04:49 PM
all you need to do is right click the stuff to see what they do and on the screen, if you go to the far right, it shows you how much it costs.

Paladin
September 1st, 2000, 06:58 PM
--------------------
all you need to do is right click the stuff to see what they do and on the screen, if you go to the far right, it shows you how much it costs.
--------------------

We all know that, but it's not the same as having a general idea of where we're going...
A complete picture of the requirements, general benefits and such would be appreciated, that's all.

MaxOMan
September 14th, 2000, 05:31 AM
I've only played the demo a handful of times so far, but I'm curious to know what the difference is regarding the technology cost setting.

I'm refering to the set-up at the beginning before starting a game, specifically the setting where it asks you what level of "technology cost" you want: Low, Medium, or High.

When I start a game (low starting tech level), all the "prices" for the technologies are the same regardless of whether I pick "low cost", "medium cost", or "high cost". Why is this? Are the proceeding tech levels more expensive? If not, then what's the difference between these technology "cost" settings?

I've always loved playing these 4X games, especially considering how addictive they can be http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/icons/icon7.gif, but my only hang up is how fast the technologies change and develop. (No sooner did I complete my level 1 tech than I'm already half-way through tech 2, etc.) My preference would be for the low technologies to be relatively inexpensive (in terms of research cost), with the middle techs being very expensive. This would make the high tech levels EXTREMELY (almost prohibitively) expensive. Such a thing would make the players have to make VERY specific choices as to how their empire's tech was going to develop. Thus each empire would "mold" itself very differently from others, making each one forced to "specialize" in only a few of the highest tech areas (those that were most appealing to his/her play style), and only make marginal inroads in other tech levels.

It had always appealed to me that it would be much more interesting to stay in the "middle" techs for a prolonged time while you're "shaping the galaxy" and fighting with the other players. Instead, it seems all too often that I begin construction on a ship and before it's finished it's already obsolete because I've achieved a new tech level or quickly finished researching a new device. 4X games lack something when "everyone" always has "everything".

Granted 100 turns (using the demo) is not sufficient evidence to say that this is the case with SE IV late into a game, but it has been (IMHO) a "minor fault" in other 4X games.

Sorry to rant....But this is why (long-winded) I wanted to know if anyone knew if there was a definite difference between the "tech cost" settings.

Thanks, you may now go back to more important things. http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/icons/icon10.gif

Klauss
September 14th, 2000, 05:49 PM
MaxOMan
"My preference would be for the low teechnologies to be relatively inexpensive (in terms of research cost), with the middle techs being very expensive. This would make the high tech levels EXTREMELY (almost prohibitively) expensive."

In the tech data files you can alway alter the costs of every tech in the game. There is absolutely NO problem in SE4 to make your idea true! You just have to find another guys which accept your altered charts for multiplayer.
This is one of the more beautiful things of SE4.

klaus

General Hawkwing
September 14th, 2000, 06:40 PM
MaxOMan,
I too would like to know what the difference is between the 3 settings. I believe the manual will clear up this issue.

MaxOMan
September 15th, 2000, 05:19 AM
Klauss,

In the tech data files you can alway alter the costs of every tech in the game.

That's what I thought we would be able to do with the full Version, but I wasn't sure if it also applied to the cost of technology.

Thanks! I will probably end up doing just that!