PDA

View Full Version : enemies

wingte
September 3rd, 2000, 03:25 AM
Ok,, Is it supposed to do this ,, or is there a bug in the demo??
When I go through the set up and I select low for the number of computer generated empires and I always seem to get 7-8 other empires. When I select high for the number of random empires I get 4-5.
Personally I think 4-5 is too many for the low setting and gettting 7-8 is rediculous.

------------------
Wingte

Master Belisarius
September 3rd, 2000, 03:46 AM
I saw that... seems to be that the Demo only is using the 7 or 8 predefined races.

Master Belisarius
September 3rd, 2000, 03:48 AM
I saw that... seems to be that the Demo only is using the 7 or 8 predefined races.

wingte
September 3rd, 2000, 07:15 AM
Ok,, I have spent several hours just starting games using different setting and this seems to be linked to having the setting "creat random empires " and "creat random neutral empires" both on at the same time. When both are on then the number of empires is always at least 4 and usually 5+ and the high vs low number buttons seem to be reversed.
When only the neutral empires is on it is possible to get as few as one enemy. When only the creat random empires is on the minimum seems to be 3. Additionally the high vs low selectors seem to operate properly.

Wierd huh...

------------------
Wingte

Taqwus
September 3rd, 2000, 08:40 PM
Neutral races? Bah. All enemies, I tell yah... There can be only one!

;-)

Interesting mix-up, 'tho.

Hmmm. There can only be so many races 'coz there's only so much art included in the demo... their race designs do change a bit, however, as long as the AI difficulty is not on the lowest setting and you increase the race points available. At the highest race point setting, some AIs may have multiple "special" traits.

They don't seem to min-max, however (i.e. I don't recall an AI race with any rating below "average", while I've tried evil xenophobic races with multiple -50% penalties in order to maximize production and ship combat. For that matter, the research slider should be adjusted based on the tech setting; at 'high' there's absolutely no game-mechanics reason to NOT take a -50% research penalty for free points.)

Hmm. There aren't any negative special traits (not sure what. "Political unrest", affecting happiness plus crew assignments and whatnot? "Pacifist" (ouch!) ? "Low-gravity only", ruling out any planet that's Large or Huge? "Luddite", ruling out any research in Computers, using Quantum Reactors, or certain other "dangerous" areas (Null-space research, heh)?).

------------------
-- The thing that goes bump in the night

wingte
September 3rd, 2000, 10:57 PM
Well,, even the "neutral" races get very pushy when the difficulty is set to high.

------------------
Wingte

General Hawkwing
September 14th, 2000, 08:55 PM
Taqwus,
Neg. racial traits. That was one of the things I liked about Stars!. It allows for some colorful "average" races.