PDA

View Full Version : Additional Sounds to Customize

T
October 24th, 2000, 11:35 PM
But that would also lead to this game becomming rather annoying Im not a fan of that myself I think the Sounds are fine! http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/icons/icon7.gif

Seawolf
October 25th, 2000, 01:08 AM
It would also add to the amount of time needed to run things. IMHO

------------------
Seawolf on the prowl

Comar
October 25th, 2000, 01:22 AM
Personally, I leave the sound off. I just find it irritating, or even distracting. So it would not mean anything to me.

Tampa_Gamer
October 25th, 2000, 01:40 AM
(IMHO) I think one of the easier things to add in a patch/enhancement would be additional sounds for ship movement (tactical model). This would be easy to implement from a programming side - play x sound upon move, based on a defined .wav in the ship size definition (similar to how graphics are called). Then place a generic sound placeholder in there. Customizers can then put in tie-fighter type sounds for fighters, rumbling space hulks for larger ships, etc. I think this would allow a lot of variety in custom ships sets, but at the same time, minimize extra programming on the design time.

[This message has been edited by Tampa_Gamer (edited 24 October 2000).]

Darwin
October 25th, 2000, 06:54 AM
I tend to find most sounds on computers rather annoying. (Only thing I use my sound card for is MP3's)

And you are forgetting the most important reason not to do that.

Space = No Air = No sound.

Klauss
October 25th, 2000, 10:58 AM
I think sound creating is an easy thing in SE4. I would like to have a lot of more "cool" sounds for different uses of components etc. As long as it is in .wav format.

Music as such I never turn on in a computer game, but I like sound effects.

dmm
October 25th, 2000, 04:28 PM
1) For what it's worth, kids seem to enjoy sounds in computer games. And Hollywood puts sounds in all their space movies, so they presumably know something.

2) It's not outlandish to think that you could hear a passing ship's "exhaust" as it hit your own ship's hull. (It's a lot more reasonable than interstellar travel!) You couldn't directly hear a ship coming toward you. But perhaps sensors would be set up to generate auditory representations of the data. In any case, the crew could certainly hear their own ship.

Tampa_Gamer
October 26th, 2000, 01:07 AM
The key is - by putting a place holder sound to begin with. Those that find it annoying can easily put a placebo sound file in there with no sound (perhaps that can be the placeholder file the programmers put in to begin with). Those that want to customize can do so to their heart's content. Thus, satisfying both crowds.

Tampa_Gamer
October 26th, 2000, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know whether there will be a sound in the final Version when the shields are hit?