PDA

View Full Version : New Mod: Added Content (now version 2.5)

Toe
March 19th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Hello all!

I've spent a lot of time playing Weird Worlds. Somehow it doesn't get boring. Still, a bit more content wouldn't hurt and make the games more variable.
That's why I've created this mod. It's not yet finished. I just keep adding new items and quests whenever I get an inspiration.
This is the first public release.

Enjoy!
Feedback appreciated http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Newest version is 2.5
It's attached to my latest post. The attachment of this post up here is still version 1.8.

Toe
March 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Attached a new version with several new objects and ship systems.

CautiousChaos
March 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Toe,
Could you tell us what is in the mod?

-cc

Toe
March 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Sure

The mod leaves basic gameplay untouched, but adds new elements.
Until now I've added
- new names for stars on the map
- three new weapons (which are strong, but have drawbacks)
- a new ally-ship
- a Crystal Fish-like object
- a new passenger you can find
- an animal you encounter in deep space
- some collectable items and lifeforms
- a new thruster (power level between fusion and ion)
- a holodeck for your ships (which has no effect on the game itself, but might be fun for people who like to roleplay Weird Worlds)
- a new background for the starmap
- a new Tan Ru vessel (it's finished - will be in the next release)

The archive contains a detailed readme file of all changes.

Hope you like it http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

blargue
March 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I find the new weapons are a little strong but overall this is, by far, my favorite mod I've played so far.

Nice work and thanks!

Toe
March 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Glad you like it http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Yes, the weapons were a bit overpowered.

I've weakened the Railgun. It's still very effective against fighters, but now sometimes needs to hit them twice. It is also less likely to damage capital ships now.

The damage value of the particle accelerator has been reduced to a quarter of the original.

The charge laser is unchanged. 12 seconds recharge should be enough to balance it.

I've replaced the attachment of the first post with the newest version of the mod.

It also includes the promised Tan Ru cruiser, a new lifeform and a new deep space phenomen (I wonder if you can guess what that blue thing is in reality).

CautiousChaos
March 28th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Toe,
Looks like a nice job, just tried it out. I'd agree with others that the weapons strength is high, even after your tweaks. I got the charge laser and the particle accelerator early on and it was a somewhat trivial challenge afterwards.

Like the effect you had for the particle accelerator. And love the new background -- great work there, too. Haven't bumped into the new Tan Ru cruiser (I'm not sure I want to! Gulp!)

I'm going to keep playing around with it tonight. Good stuff!

-cc

Toe
April 4th, 2006, 09:16 AM
A new release:

Even more new weapons (with improved balance compared to the last version), allies and items you can find.

Enjoy http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Ace_Garp
May 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks Toe !
This mod is great.
I prefer mods that just add more stuff rather than change the whole style of the game (although they're sometimes interesting).
Had a similar idea to this myself (more planet-side events), but I've yet to start with even the most basic mod. Oh, and I can't draw.
I can do music though if anybody wants some .oggs for their mods ;-)
Thanks again, and keep up the (very) good work.

RobertHMayfire
May 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I found a glitch in the Space Hulk. I cannot repare the rear weapon system with the ship's space drive in the way.

Toe
June 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the nice words! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

The Space Hulk bug is fixed in the newest release - it's attached to my previous post.

At the moment I'm not working on this mod. That's because I've switched to Linux a few weeks ago.
But I'll try to get the game working again on my machine.

Mobbex
July 7th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Ok, I would LOVE to try this mod.

Unfortunately, when i click on the «attachment» link to downlaod it, well, it just doesn't work. All I get is a few dozen page of weird text and I don't get to download anything.

Can anywone help with this? I would realy appreciate.

Thanks!

Toe
July 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM
try rightclicking the link - a little menu should appear.

there you simply select "save link as" (might be called a little different in your browser) and choose where you want to save the file.

have fun!

Khuratokh
June 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
This might seem like a stupid question , but how do you install the mod in Weird Worlds.
The other mods I had no trouble installing as they had folders I could put in the Mod directory.
But what do I do with these .rar files?

Any help would be appreciated

Mafaa
June 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Note: PC specific
First thing you do is find the location of your weird world's file. To find it, right click on your weird world shortcut and it will tell you where it is located, now open the folder weird worlds is in, minimize it for now. Download the mod you want to get. Save it to disk, after it is finished downloading
you should see it on your desk top, right click on the file and go down to extract here. Extract it, a folder should appear on your desktop, drag the folder into the weird worlds folder. Now open weird worlds, and it should appear on your mod list.

Khuratokh
July 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Aha, that explains it.
thanks for your help, but it was a software problem.
You see, I didn't have Win-rar installed, so from my pc's point of view the .rar files were just weird alien single files that had no possible way of opening them, let alone unzipping and installing them.

But, the problem has been solved now, and i'm very impressed with this mod!