PDA

View Full Version : Converting old maps?

Tiltowait
September 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
So what about all the old dominions 2 player-made maps? I made a bunch and was wondering if they were usuable in Dom3

okiN
September 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Oversway said:I think I read that dom2 maps will work in dom3. Is that right or did I just convince myself that because I want it to be true?

Daynarr said:Its true, they all work in Dom3.

Ta-dah!

Kristoffer O
September 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM
There are some new things you can add to old maps, such as province text color, border mountains and deep sea terrain. But you don't have to change anything if you dont want to.

Tiltowait
September 1st, 2006, 04:28 PM
Sweet!

Gandalf Parker
September 1st, 2006, 05:02 PM
Im especially thankful that even though Dom3 went with a new format (RGB) they left in the old code so that it can handle old maps (TGA). Very nice of them.
Thanks Illwinter.

DominionsFan
September 2nd, 2006, 05:07 AM
Gandalf Parker said:
Im especially thankful that even though Dom3 went with a new format (RGB) they left in the old code so that it can handle old maps (TGA). Very nice of them.
Thanks Illwinter.

I wonder why was it needed to change to RGB from TGA. RGB image compression is better?

Kristoffer O
September 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
No idea. I never use RGB. I think it's just a whim of JK's (or a wish of Gandalf's http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif ).

Gandalf Parker
September 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
No if I had my way it would have gone MORE standard, not less. That drove me nuts in the beginning looking for a converter until I found out that the tga would still work.

I would have asked for something like BMP, or better yet PNG.

DominionsFan
September 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Hehe. Hm...or perhaps JPG? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
Anyways, there isnt a problematic image compression to be honest. Especially if you got photoshop, Corel, Adobe etc.

Gandalf Parker
September 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
JPG would be a problem on conversions. The compression algorythm in it messes up the "white dots" we need for capitals. But PNG would sure make my web support of the game a few steps easier.

DominionsFan
September 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Gandalf Parker said:
JPG would be a problem on conversions. The compression algorythm in it messes up the "white dots" we need for capitals. But PNG would sure make my web support of the game a few steps easier.

Oh I see. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Agrajag
September 3rd, 2006, 05:58 AM
Too bad the extra features of PNG would be useless in Dominions (specifically, the full alpha channel)

Nerfix
September 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Agrajag said:
Too bad the extra features of PNG would be useless in Dominions (specifically, the full alpha channel)

WEll, theoreticaly the game could could be changed to make use of the features....then again I'm not sure what sort of features PNG has.

I'd like to see someone converting the World Map and the World War scenario. They were fun.

Johan K
September 3rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Dom 3 makes use of the alpha channel in map images. So you can make transparent corners or a donut world with a real hole in the middle if you want to.

Gandalf Parker
September 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Cool. And isnt the screen behind that one accessable? Someone could create a small simulator or tutorial map and have a screen behind it showing something like the keypress chart or game tips.

Agrajag
September 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
That's cool JK, I didn't even think the full alpha channel could be useful.
Guess I was wrong.

Guess I'll start mapmaking in Dom3 http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

DominionsFan
September 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM
Johan K said:
Dom 3 makes use of the alpha channel in map images. So you can make transparent corners or a donut world with a real hole in the middle if you want to.

Nice to know. I would like to create a high quality map for my total conversion mod someday, and I will definitely use this.