PDA

View Full Version : placing notes?

MrWynd
December 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM
is there any way to place notes other than just on the galaxy map menu? Like on a planet or in a system? Or is there a mod that allows anything like that?

thanks in advance!

PvK
December 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Just the system map, and naming units, fleets, and colonized planets, I think.

Atrocities
December 12th, 2006, 01:07 AM
We all just alt tab to note pad.

dogscoff
December 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM
You can actually place notes in the game by editing the history files. Not sure of the details, but there is at least one helper program (Ruatha's quite spectacularSE4 Companion (http://wiki.spaceempires.net/index.php/SE4_Companion) ) allowing you to do so.

Note that earlier versions of the companion are slightly more stable and focus more on the feature you've just requested than on all the other... um... functions.

Gandalf Parker
December 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I dont find the system map one all that useful. It would be if it did something to show me that I had a note on a system. Like maybe change the color of the circle for that system which wouldnt cause a problem for the colors when they fill in the circle.

MrWynd
December 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
yah Gandalf, I'm looking for something superior. Wish I knew something about coding or modding to put it in.

If you are alt-tabbing to notepad, could you give me an example of how you organize your notes?

also, I got the wiki page to work about SE4 companion, but the homepage for it seems to be down. Anyone know where else to obtain the file?

Gandalf Parker
December 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM
If you are using notepad, here is a tip.
If the first line is just
.LOG
(all caps) then each time you open the file it will automatically add a date/time, and put you at the end of the file. Kindof handy for keeping track of todays stuff from yesterdays stuff.

Gandalf Parker

Slick
December 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I've been using notepad for years and I never knew that. Interestingly enough, after I read that, I checked the notpad help and sure enough it's right there. Thanks, GP, I'm sure I'll use that function.

PvK
December 17th, 2006, 02:25 AM
I keep text files to record the diplomatic conversations. They get huge, especially after years playing the same game! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

In my first SE3 multi-player game, I started out taking notes about my moves, too, but THAT quickly got way out of hand.

These files make some pretty interesting records of the games played, though.

Gandalf Parker
December 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Personally I love games that let me operate in a window, check my other work windows, and lets me use whatever program I want for things like screenshots, notes, etc instead of bulking up the game by trying to write their versions into it.

Fyron
December 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM
The note thing in no way detracts from the game, though, since it is trivial to alt tab in and out of SE4. It would be nice if it could run natively in a window, but at least alt-tab is 100% instantaneous.

Phoenix-D
December 19th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Gandalf Parker said:
Personally I love games that let me operate in a window, check my other work windows, and lets me use whatever program I want for things like screenshots, notes, etc instead of bulking up the game by trying to write their versions into it.

I disagree. SE5 windows, and its still useful to have the note feature there. Mostly because the game itself keeps reminders about which systems have notes and they're saved with the savegame.

PvK
December 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Though if Malfador hadn't implemented those notes etc., he might have fixed some of the problems with the actual game instead... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Fyron
December 19th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah, cause the whole 10 minutes it took really cut out time from other things. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

MrWynd
December 22nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Gandalf Parker said:
If you are using notepad, here is a tip.
If the first line is just
.LOG
(all caps) then each time you open the file it will automatically add a date/time, and put you at the end of the file. Kindof handy for keeping track of todays stuff from yesterdays stuff.

Gandalf Parker

OMG thats awesome, thanks!