PDA

View Full Version : How do you change/add music?

MischiefMaker
January 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I want to add some songs I have to the playlist in the regular game. I don't want to remove the songs that are already there, just add a few more to the list.

What file do I need to change to add to the playlist?

What format does the music need to be in? (I currently have it in .ogg)

Thanks!

HoneyBadger
January 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'll be very interested to learn as well. I'd like to add Mozart's The Magic Flute.

MischiefMaker
January 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Suddenly you've given me the mental image of undead hordes individually popping out of the ground in time with the Papageno/Papagena duet.

Gandalf Parker
January 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM
This was discussed before in the Dom3 or Dom2 forums. I just skimmed it but as I remember.. you cant really add to the music. But you can overwrite the music files with other music files. I think one of the threads had a list of which ones popped up at which times in the game.

HoneyBadger
January 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'd hate to do that though, Gandalf, because I do enjoy the music that's there-there just isn't nearly enough of it, and it gets repetitive. Now I don't mind that in and of itself, but it does cause my wife to yell at me, and that's always a good catalyst to change any given circumstance.

MischiefMaker
January 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Not being able to add additional music files isn't insurmountable, you just take multiple songs and put them end-to-end in a single music file. That was how I was able to put the entire Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack into the 5 music files that "Titans of Steel: Warring Suns" uses.

Unfortunately, the roadblock seems to be this .al format the music is coded in. Absolutely none of my programs recognize it and so far my searches for converters have come up dry.

Oh well, I guess stats and graphics were the only things they were expecting people to want to modify.

NTJedi
January 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
MischiefMaker said:
Oh well, I guess stats and graphics were the only things they were expecting people to want to modify.

Definitely a good suggestion for DOM_4 !

HoneyBadger
January 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Somewhere on the web, there's got to be a big database of public-domain music, especially with the fall of all that was Napster.

Definitely and decidedly, music is an important part of pretty much anything and everything entertaining these days, and I'm sure the Developers know this and will be happy to provide musical modding tools at some point in the relatively near future.