PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about ROTK MAP+MOD

CaoCao
January 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
1. Its Romance of the Three Kingdoms (not the other thing...)
2. That means China around 180-280 AD Map
3. I dont care for history so it would be mystical.
4. It would probably be HUGE. Its whole China...
5. LOTS of chokepoints and I mean it. Walls, Gates, Rivers, Mountains, Swamps, Posioned Provinces and more.
6. Special Provinces and many of them, they would be populated by the heroes of the Age and of course be powerful and carry mighty artefacts, which you could claim for yourself. (Your enemies might do the same though...)
7. Very strong Tien Chi AI starting in the Capitol and the surrounding provinces. (The richest and rescourfulest around and giving the most victory points.)
If you dont expand fast and know what you are doing, it will crush you and anyone else. So being to defensive will make you lose for sure.
8. Special Magic Sites in victory provinces, which allows recruiting of powerful commanders. Like General of the Flying Cavalary ,General who Conquers the North, General of Law and Order and so one. Powerful and Expensive. (I would like the player to be able to only recruit one of them, but I dont think thats possible.

The Map would have to come along with a mod of course to add all the things.

I have a lot more ideas for that Map/Mod but before I even get started I want to know if anyone would appreciate such a thing.

CaoCao
January 12th, 2007, 07:39 PM
2 positive votes are better than nothing, but still to less.
So I hope to see more votes in the future!
Maybe I will release a picture of a small part of the map to let you see that I speak of very high quality, nothing rubbish and rushed.

Taqwus
January 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I don't think you can do this. While there are monsters in the game for which uniqueness is tracked (demon lords, elemental royalty, and others) and which is checked at both summoning time and map placement time (ex. if you try to put two copies of Scabiel, the Maker of Ruins in the same .map file, the first one will vanish), I don't think it's checked at recruitment; nor do I recall a way to designate a new monster type as unique.

I wonder if it'd be better down as a combination of national heroes, and independent commanders that might be 'corrupted' (have emissaries running around with 'corrupt commander' type ability), and leaving other heroic-types to be defined by the usual HoF qualifications.

Even if you took a unique-summoner and made it national (like the Tlaloques, which picks one of four specific uniques), and then modded the units... you can't prohibit the summons being invoked to bring back one who's dead, nor can you easily tie this to a particular free-for-all province instead of a nation. You could make a unique summons only castable by a rare combination for which you make a rare recruitable immobile caster, and drastically cutting gem income to make empowerment less feasible, but you can't really ensure that the immobile summoner won't be used for anything else (although if it's something truly weird like holy-6 water-1 with heavy forge and research penalties, the damage is limited, but you can only require two paths for a ritual so the number of different 'summoners' you can have is limited.)

It's an interesting period. Lots of reasons to have funky unit types running around, plenty of spies and emissaries and experts in various military matters.

regret
January 13th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Maybe you can do 3 versions.
1.Plain map with just spawn points for nations
2.Map with special locations/heroes (sort of like the faerun map w/ specials for dom 2)
3.last version with all the bells and whistles you stated.

would probably be a nice way to make and test your map/concepts as you add more things into it too.

HoneyBadger
January 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM
CaoCao, I think in this forum you should take it as a very good sign that nobody thinks it's an outright bad idea http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

CaoCao
January 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM
HoneyBadger said:
CaoCao, I think in this forum you should take it as a very good sign that nobody thinks it's an outright bad idea http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Hmm I wanted to write a big text, wrote it but then decided to delete it. /threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif
So to sum my big text up:
I am spoiled. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/stupid.gif
I guess I will once again mod for a more popular game, when I decide to mod anything again.

So my hope rests on the rest http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/shock.gif to make something great for this game.

Foodstamp
January 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I don't see why you couldn't do any of the things you listed as requirements for your mod. All the things mentioned in the original post are possible, except conquering a province and receiving the unique commander as mentioned by another poster.

HoneyBadger
January 13th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I personally think it's a great idea and I'd love to see it, CaoCao.

XiahouDun
January 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I would like to see it.

KissBlade
January 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I would play it! =)

CaoCao
January 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Ah Xiahou Dun my trustworthy officer! Did Xiahou Yuan not make it in time? I hope he is well.

Seems like there is at least some interest here, so I again will consider this. I think I will make a quick version of the map and see if I like playing on it at all and then I will figure out what to do next.

But what I dislike about the map editor is that it seems to completely mess up a lot when I remove or add a single provinces, that makes it kinda hard to fix things.