PDA

View Full Version : Ship Repair In Stock

JeffGeorge
February 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me that in my stock SE IV game my space yards have stopped repairing. I have ships sitting turn after turn with no components being repaired. I've even tried moving to different space yards and the same thing happens. Has this happened to anyone else? I have damaged ships sitting all over the place now and none of them are repairing.

Suicide Junkie
February 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM
I've often felt like that was happening, but in reality I was just taking too long to play my turn and looking at that same ship three times on the same turn, wondering why it wasn't repairing http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Did you clear all of the repair priorities?
You may need at least one item in the list.

The way priorities work is thus:
- There IS NO ORDER. All items are either in the list, or not in the list.
- A ship that has a damaged component which matches the list will be picked for repair first.
- Components from the list will be repaired first, in order of placement on the hull.
- Any excess points on the same turn will be used to repair non-priority components on the same ship.
- If no ships have damaged priority components, then any ship is picked, and components get repaired in order of placement until the ship is done.

Note: A high priority ship which gets all of its high priority components repaired, but still has low priority components damaged, will no longer be high priority next turn.
Thusly, it will be passed over next turn in favour of any remaining high priority ships.

JeffGeorge
February 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM
My Repair Priority list is empty. I was experimenting with it and I removed one of the items, I can't remember which, and when I did it wasn't in the available list to put back in so I just removed everything. To reiterate, the Group Repair Priority list is empty but, if I understand what you are saying, this shouldn't matter, right?

JeffGeorge
February 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
As a test, I'll put one item back into the Priority list (since there's no Add All button!) and see if they start repairing again.

JeffGeorge
February 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM
That did the trick. So does that mean that ALL repairs will take place as long as least ONE item is in the Priority list?

Suicide Junkie
February 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM
Correct.

The default repair priorities can include things that you haven't researched yet.

Once you do research them, the entry will reappear.

Personally, I reccommend prioritizing:
- Bridge/ MC
- Engines
This short list lets you get the ship mobile, so you can send it home to a repair planet (and out of harm's way), and save the repair ship's points for other more crippled ships.

JeffGeorge
February 1st, 2007, 02:11 PM
I just made those changes as it makes sense to get those things working first. It's a shame that you can't resequence the Priority list.

Suicide Junkie
February 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Just design your ships with the most important-to-repair components first. Then you're set.

Kamog
February 2nd, 2007, 02:26 AM
Oh, I've always thought that the order in the repair priority list was the order things got fixed... there's still things I'm learning about SEIV. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif But I'm pretty sure the order mattered in SEIII...

Slick
February 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
I always put "construction" first. First thing to repair are repair components.

Possum
February 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Suicide Junkie said:

Personally, I reccommend prioritizing:
- Bridge/ MC
- Engines
This short list lets you get the ship mobile, so you can send it home to a repair planet (and out of harm's way), and save the repair ship's points for other more crippled ships.

SJ, the problem with what you said is that the listings in the repair priority list are not systems, but categories of systems.

"Engines" does appear, because that's a category

"Bridge" and "Master Computer", do not. They are under "Vehicle Control", which does appear.

But, nitpicking aside, I conclude from what I've read in this thread that the optimal repair priorities list might consist of only three entries.

Construction
Vehicle Control
Engines

Does this make sense?

Suicide Junkie
February 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm just saying that I prioritize those systems.

I don't play stock, and the CBmod has much more refined categories, so in GG, you can in fact distinguish between bridge, auxcon and computers in the repair priorities.

But the main point was to prioritize getting the ship mobile so it can go home to complete repairs while the repair ships work on the others.

Possum
February 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Right, understood.

But about my proposed 3-item Repair Priorities List above - good or bad?

JeffGeorge
February 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'm still not sure I understand why it requires at least one item in the priority list to work. It doesn't make sense.

No Items In Priority List = nothing gets repaired

1+ Items In Priority List = everything, including items not in list, gets repaired

douglas
February 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
It's probably a bug. I imagine the function that decides what ship and components to repair was written to assume that at least one item is on the priority list and it hits an error of some sort and returns with no decision if the list is empty.