View Full Version : A question about satellites
December 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have a couple of questions concerning satellites, and some expanded usage ideas I have for them in my Mod.
1) - Can, and if so HOW, satellites be given limited movement capabilities?
2) - I've seen that satellites can apparently be used for remote mining. HOW does that work?
3) - I've also seen that satellites can apparently be used for surveillance. Though I have some ideas here, exactly HOW does that work?
4) - Other than combat, what additional capabilities can satellites have?
December 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I love to place satellites in clouds, or stars, or warps that say they mask scanning. It gives me a chance to watch the coming and goings at least until their scan level goes up abit. And Im not positive if it stacks but later I like to add stealth armor to sats and still try to place them in non-scannable positions.
I also like to make seperate warp-defense sats. I can use "Light Satellite Mount" to double the weapons since they will usually be firing point-blank as someone comes thru the warp. Its a very different build strategy in many ways from planetary defense.
December 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thta's helpful to know, and gives me a few ideas to work with.
Also, I just noticed you live just a stone's throw away from where I do (LOL)
December 14th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Ahh so I see. Welcome neighbor.
December 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
1) - Can, and if so HOW, satellites be given limited movement capabilities?AFAIK, no. I've heard of mods that gave limited movement to bases, but I'm not sure how that's done, either.
2) - I've seen that satellites can apparently be used for remote mining. HOW does that work?You need to research Satellites 3 to get Large Satellites, the only stock size that will hold a Remote Mining component. Then you just build a satellite and have a Sat. Layer deploy it on the sector to be mined. Only one sat per resource type will work on the same sector. You can recover the sats and redeploy them somewhere else after the sector has been depleted.
December 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
If I understand this correctly, mining with a satellite is wasteful because the sector's resources are depleted at the same rate whether the vessel doing the mining uses one robo-miner or several at once. So, you can collect more resources using a ship or base.
vBulletin® v3.8.0, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.