View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is difference from Dominions II???

Quote:
Captain_Kremmen said:
Dear all,

I bought dominons II a while ago and thought it was a good game, not the best ever but deffinitely a good game.

I downloaded the dominions 3 demo and honestly can not find a single thing different.

Same graphics, same battles, same build options

I think the full game has added a few extra races but dominions II had lots of races. What has been significantly added to the gameplay?

I am not trying to upset any hardened fans, as a casual fan I just want to know why I should upgrade to Dominions 3?

Ta

Captain Kremmen
Well, besides the new races (including the likes of Kailasa, which rely heavily on the improved national spells), the new mechanics (like the fact that Kailasa's White Ones reincarnate into new bodies, and awakening of course), the updated inner workings of old spells (Decay causing rapid aging instead of killing, Horror Mark and Horrors updated, all protection spells making you vulnerable to something), the updated mechanics (Water path increasing defence instead of allowing Water mage to go underwater, dominion values 9 and 10 giving Awe)...

well, Dominions 3 has more similar stuff, some totally new stuff, some balance updtes, and lots of updates to modding, and the changes to economy, and changes that help against micromanagement. If you're interested in trying out some mods, or perhaps making a mod yourself, Dominions 3 looks very promising.
Also, the game's also worth it just for multiplayer. Most old players here have updated to Dom3, and the game's very different in multiplayer. The balance changes are more visible in these games. "Okay" strategies aren't good enough unless you get lucky. In DomII, armies weren't really used, and summons rocked from very early on. In Dom3, national units have uses for much longer. Legions of Steel and Strength of Giants are suddenly good spells, and get used.

If you are content with the single-player of Dominions II, these don't matter. In that case, the only reason to buy Dominions 3 would be if you wanted even more stuff, with a shinier, more stream-lined interface (taxes handled automatically, easier to handle armies attacking the same target from different provinces)... and the manual. The games comes with a huge paper manual that explains almost all the rules from repel to battles to heat aura to poison damage to stun to fatigue effects to blesses (some new ones, like the aging mechanic, were seemingly missed), all the nations get a short overview and an example strategy, and then there's a short but VERY useful chapter about strategies in general. The manual also lists all the spells (except national global), all items, etc. It has its own chart for path-boosting items! Also, unlike the DomII manual, this list is efficient and fast to use, and shows more actual numbers. It lists all the summon spells and the stats for the units they give, or at least give one as an example (in the case of e.g. Cross Breeding or Bind Demon Lord).

See the missing spells for an example of what the manual would be like in this regard:
http://download.shrapnelgames.com/do...l_Enchants.pdf