View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lies My Rulebook Told Me

Quote:
Micah said:
Global enchantments take effect when cast, not as described in the turn order. p72

Critical hits hurt a heck of a lot more (and may be more frequent) than the formula given would indicate. p76

The stated attack penalty for multiple repel attempts in the same turn is not actually applied. p76

The formula for missiles landing against shielded units overstates the protection that shields provide. p77

The description of how morale checks works does not seem to be accurate. High morale units don't seem to be hit by unlucky rolls as often as they should be with the formula as stated. p80

Similarly, fear does not seem to function exactly as described, since units never seem to run away on the first turn they engage, which should be possible. p56

I counted 34 issues. That's pretty good for a 300-page manual. Leaving away spell and summon lists (your issues were mostly about mechanics), it's a bit worse but still not as bad as some people like to claim.

Global Effects: What do you mean by "globals take effect when cast"? I thought the "global phase" was when Burden of Time ages units and Wrath of God smites units and similar effects take place, but I read your issue as in "global spells are cast on the 'cast ritual spells' phase", which is still a minor issue because it's unclear, but not major as you have listed it as.

Critical hits, missiles vs shields: These are indeed major issues, but I still don't know if they are actually bugged. People say that they seem to happen more often than they should, but people are biased. I'd like to know how shields actually work, because if it works as the manual claims it works parry 9 Black Steel shield is better than an Air Shield.

Repel penalty: in my experience this definitely happens. A Black Lord thug with well-boosted attack value and a whip (length 6) is overwhelmed by militia; the first ones are repelled but the latter ones will hit him just fine. It could be that the penalty is smaller than the manual states it to be, or it could be I was too hasty in drawing conclusions in my test. I'm interested in hearing why you think repel doesn't lower attack, though.

Morale (and fear): I haven't thought about this too much. Still, perhaps morale above 10 is actually counted as if it was ( [morale - 10]*2 +10), so morale 14 is calculated as morale 18 etc etc. Precision is handled the same way, and I think it'd fit the illogical logic of the game mechanics.