The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 8th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Private

Joe1960 is on a distinguished road
Default Infantry...who needs 'em?

As much as it pains an old infantryman (U.S.M.C. 1980-88) to say...

I am now on my second campaign...11 battles in on the Eastern Front playing the Germans. It is now December, 1941.

In my first campaign I played a "historical" force of balanced infantry and tanks. Not much arty because I didn't now how to play it in this game. Tough battles...many draws as the Russian arty pounded my PBI's and ATG's without pity. Also I didn't now that the AI would perform "counter-battery" fire. And the constant flow of Russian heavy tanks would walk over my force.

In my second campaign I have a unrealistic force of just tanks and 4 (or is it 5?) batteries of (IIRC) 170mm arty. Several missions in I added some tracked 88's to deal with the plethora of KV-1's, Matilda's, and Valentines the AI likes to choose for it's OPFOR selection.

This (granted non-historical force - I guess) is quite potent. The heavy arty is a real killer and deals with almost all OPFOR threats. Especially their PBI.

Bottom line: I do not have any infantry, am doing quite well, and am not missing them.

Is there a way (or through OOB manipulation) to force the AI to choose a "realistic" force so that I can play with a "realistic" one?
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Private

Celnoriak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infantry...who needs 'em?

Unchecking the "AI Tank Heavy" may give you what you're looking for. Or you could always buy the AI troops yourself.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Private

I do have the "AI Tank Heavy" box unchecked and often face over 100 tanks (depending on battle type) against my 15. Hate to see a AI Tank Heavy force!

And I could pick the AI force but knowing exactly what I am up against will take some of the fun out of playing.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

You may buy for the AI yourself. You can make the AI force whatever you like.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1960 View Post
As much as it pains an old infantryman (U.S.M.C. 1980-88) to say...

I am now on my second campaign...11 battles in on the Eastern Front playing the Germans. It is now December, 1941.

In my first campaign I played a "historical" force of balanced infantry and tanks. Not much arty because I didn't now how to play it in this game. Tough battles...many draws as the Russian arty pounded my PBI's and ATG's without pity. Also I didn't now that the AI would perform "counter-battery" fire. And the constant flow of Russian heavy tanks would walk over my force.

In my second campaign I have a unrealistic force of just tanks and 4 (or is it 5?) batteries of (IIRC) 170mm arty. Several missions in I added some tracked 88's to deal with the plethora of KV-1's, Matilda's, and Valentines the AI likes to choose for it's OPFOR selection.

This (granted non-historical force - I guess) is quite potent. The heavy arty is a real killer and deals with almost all OPFOR threats. Especially their PBI.

Bottom line: I do not have any infantry, am doing quite well, and am not missing them.

Is there a way (or through OOB manipulation) to force the AI to choose a "realistic" force so that I can play with a "realistic" one?
Artillery is expensive. Each 170mm battery you have in your core will be worth a platoon of tanks and a rifle company to the soviets, but cannot take or hold V-hexes. You have nearly 2 regiments of the rarest big guns.

And an armoured core is worth a lot of points as well.

You seem to want a tank heavy opponent, so try the AI Tank Heavy preference. It will still buy infantry and arty though!.

You are seeing the cheap and cheerful lend lease tanks - so you are probably still in late 41 and early 42 - so try waiting till 1942+ when the T34s come on line for AI fleet buy. You will also have 75L43 long guns available (and the long 50) then that deal with the enemy armour much better than 50mm short.

You will miss infantry support when you get round to Stalingrad and any other city battles though...

Andy
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Private

Ah...forgot about city fighting.
Maybe I will see about picking the AI force.
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

If you'd like, I can purchase a force for your game, or maybe someone with better Russian force knowledge could purchase a force for your game. Are you in a campaign or scenario/single game mode. You can zip the game file and email it to me and let me know what type of force you'd like to play against and I'll purchase the forces for the AI and return the zip to you. I could place them too if you'd like. Your choice.
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Xrati's offer is your best alternative.
You might think it sounds complicated but really, it isn't.

...and eventually you will master the game to the extent that when facing the AI you will play all infantry forces and say:
"Tanks, who need's em?"

If you play games set up by another player, your battles will be less predictable...
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Private

Thank you very much for the offer Xrati. If I can figure out how to do it I may take you up on the offer but I play quite a bit and wouldn't want to put you out. I appreciate the thought though.
Kudos to you
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

The other option is to play PBEM against other players. It takes a small bit of learning to get started, but is rather rewarding. Now, you would need to find an opponent that plays with a realistic force, but the way you described it, they couldn't get more unrealistic than the AI.

Howard Tayer