This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old November 9th, 2003, 09:39 PM

Private

Manta_Ky is on a distinguished road
Default Your favirote ship and why?

This thread was inevitable. So don't fight it.

Mine has to be the Abbidon Crusier 2. She is big enough to carry some nice electronics and good weapons. The hardpoint layout is about perfect for a multi-role ship. And she looks damm sexy to.
Old November 9th, 2003, 09:48 PM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your favirote ship and why?

Just started playing the full game so ah just don't know yet...
Old November 9th, 2003, 10:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Terran Battleship. Only a little extra space over the Abbidon heavy cruiser, but with manuvering thrusters and afterburners it performs quite nicely, and the extra weapon points help a lot.

The Abbidon battleship would be nice for sheer size, but the hardpoints are in weird spots..

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 9th, 2003, 11:16 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road

The Addiban Battleship III.

Plenty of room to hold goodies like electronics, shield regenerators, and more.
But, it absolutly needs the manuvering thrusters to bring the rear guns into the battle.
Old November 9th, 2003, 11:20 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

From the looks I like the Fazrah CR the best. Very graceful.

For power I prefer the Xiati BB. Nothing beats those massive broadsides .
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old November 10th, 2003, 03:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I like the Xiati "Skull" ships, such as the Battleship. Not much is worse when you have a few of those firing at you.

Runner up would be the Abbidon Battleship.

Overall, I think they did a good job with most of the stock ships in the game.
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:48 PM

Private

brainman.9Hells is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Manta_Ky:
I traded up for a Terran Carrier recently. (...)The pilots are stupid and the crash alot. But they are good at drawing fire away from you.
(...)
Has anybody else use fighters? What have you learned about them?
I tried the Terrar Carrier, but I haven't been able constantly find fighters at shops... I end up being without fighters. It's very annoying that they crash into you.

My pref'ed ship is the Xiati Battleship III. The strategy is to overwhelm enemies PD with missiles. 2 or 3 volleys kill most ships. I only have a hard time against other Xiati Battleships.

The Xiati battleship can carry up to 6 plasma missiles (40kt). I use a tachyon beam on front so I can shoot fleeing enemies engines and DUC on the right side (lightweight, great reload time, decent damage, great for circling the enemy at close range).

So my ship goes like this
Front: tachyon + 2 plasma torps
right: 2 plasma torps + 2 DUC's
left : 2 toxic injectors
3 PD guns
75kt of energy supply
This leaves room for all eletronics + long range scanners + repair bay + shield regenerator + energy capacitor(name?), 2 cargo holds.
The remaining space goes for shields/armor in a 2/1 proportion, regular shields, regen armor

Regards,
brainman
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:16 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I usually go for the Abbidon Battleship III. Why? It's a great mulit-purpose ship. Its large size relative to other battleships allows me to indulge my love of shields. Although it doesn't have as many weapons hardpoints, it doesn't matter if you have tons of shielding.

BTW, does anyone else use 160kT forward shielding? Maybe that's overkill, but when you're facing a ton of Xiati ships looking for a kill, it comes in real handy. And with the huge size of the Abbidon Battleship, you can afford to use tons of space on shields.

I usually go for Anti-Proton beams forward, with a couple of toxic injectors thrown in for fun, although they become more and more useless as enemy PD usage increases. Another couple of AP beams on the sides, and I'm unstoppable

Renegade

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:17 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

The Terran ships have too narrow a range of firing arcs. Once you get behind a Terran ship it can be too easy to pound on them. Granted, the AI is too dumb to exploit this so it doesn't matter in a single-player game. But if SF ever becomes multi-player this will matter.

I like the Abbidon ships, especially the battleship, becauce they have much wider arcs including directly rear-facing mounts. I like being able to swoop down on someone, fire on approach and then fire again after they pass. I also like to be able to fight many ships at once with the 'Y' key (switch target). Fire forward weapons at cruiser in your face, hit 'Y' a few times till some destroyer behind you is selected, fire rear weapons while the forward weapons are recharging, hit 'Y' a few more times to reselect forward target. What's really deadly of course is putting maneuvering thrusters on an Abbidon ship so it can whirl around and use all its weapons quickly in any direction.
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road

I recently outfitted my Abbidon BB III with Toxic Injector torpedos and the Sithrak Psyhic Flailer guns in the front. Both of these weapons are very deadly to the crew.

PD almost always kills the single rack side torpedoes so I don't bother with them any more and save the wieght. But, The side racks have the Sithrak 50K gun that deals a tremendous amount of damage about 230Kt up close.

I have Null Space Torpedoes in the back racks. I was amazed at how deadly they were when they were used on me. I added Psyhic Flailer guns in the back gun rack also.

I am destroying Sithrak BB easily now. They are dying with full shields and armor and a little hull damage.