.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Sergeant

fahdiz is on a distinguished road
Default Tips for first full game...Arco

So if you read my "Introduction" topic, you'll know that I'm getting the non-demo game sometime next week. I intend to play my first full game as Arco, and was thinking about the Nataraja as pretender...just because I can't stop thinking about loading him up with crafted weapons and letting him turn into a big blue Cuisinart.

Any tips from Arco vets on a game vs. normal AI? What opponents might I use, what strategies, etc? Thanks for reading!

[ February 07, 2004, 05:04: Message edited by: fahdiz ]
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Tips for first full game...Arco

I don't want to sound like Gandalf ... er, I mean a badly scratched broken record ... er.

Well here,

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...=001036#000000
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
I don't want to sound like Gandalf ... er, I mean a badly scratched broken record ... er.

Well here,

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...=001036#000000
Thanks Zen, that's exactly the sort of thing for which I was looking.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:21 AM

And if you plan on using the Natty. Your best bet is probably Earth.

It's a favorite of mine. For an early time playing around with your Natty, try getting Alteration 5 (For Invulnerability), 3 Conjuration (Summon Earthpower), 2 Main Gauge of Defense, 1 Lucky Coin, 1 Charcoal Shield, Boots of the Behemoth, Elemental Hauberk, Starshine Skullcap (for the MR), Amulet of Antimagic and a Ring of Regeneration.

You can swap out other things (Like Reinvigoration items) upon need, but that is a fairly stalwart little Natty right there. And depending on your gem income fairly easy to obtain. Most of the items you can get as you advance in levels. The real kicker is getting to Construction 4 for most of the items.

[ February 07, 2004, 06:00: Message edited by: Zen ]
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Sergeant

Thank you for the tips. I was already sort of leaning toward Earth, but that pretty much solidifies it in my mind.

Does Arco tend to fare better on smaller maps or on bigger ones, given that aside from Nataraja as SC the Arco strategy appears to be defensive, conservative, and research-oriented? Just curious. And thanks again.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:05 AM

It really depends on what type of player you are. I personally don't consider Arco much of a 'defense' nation. They have a powerful offense in Elephants, Hoplites and Hypsists, as well as great access to spells.

They have the ability to reinforce fairly easily with Astrologers and Gateway. So it's possible to have a large peacekeeping force (with Leadership Items) that can gateway to reinforce your lines.

Also a favorite strategy is to teleport in an Astrologer, cast Doom, then either let him die or have him cast Returning. It's a little high on the chain, but something worth noting for such cheap Astrologers.

The Priestesses allow you to send your SC's into potentially dangerous situations where they might get a few afflictions, and come out and go to the hospital and heal back up. Where other nations do not usually have that option.

Cheap Research, Mystics with multiple paths and a good search/gem income rounds out Arco very nicely.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:26 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by fahdiz:
Any tips from Arco vets on a game vs. normal AI? What opponents might I use, what strategies, etc? Thanks for reading!
What opponents you might use? In Soviet Russia, your opponents use you! You don't "pick which opponents you use", except possibly at random. That's just not how it's done, picking your opponents as if this makes for an easier game. You pick the hugest map possible, then jam all 17, or maybe just not including Ermor, because they kill all of the other AIs and pretty much guarantee that you'll always be fighting them, or at least make sure they're not AE/SG. After the first 5 games or so where it was always me and them, it started getting a tad old.

Anyway, the one problem with the Nataraja is that he has the endurance in combat of a wet noodle. With an base encumberance of 3, it takes a lot of reinvigoration to keep him kicking, or at least a Wraith Sword, which will fail utterly against anything which is lifeless or undead, and he'll pass out like a big wuss again. If you can equip him with the items that'll give him the reinvigoration he needs, though, he can be a right mean fellow.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:29 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
Also a favorite strategy is to teleport in an Astrologer, cast Doom, then either let him die or have him cast Returning. It's a little high on the chain, but something worth noting for such cheap Astrologers.
It's more fun to do hit-and-run Master Enslaves.

Teleport in a huge mass of astrologers with crystal matrices so they'll start out communioned, pop off a master enslave or two, and then Vortex out. Cursing everyone is merely a nuisance.
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Well Norfleet, the Doom strategy you can cast by turn ~25-30 with Arco, and can potentially devastate an elite army. Where as the Master Enslave is something you do for ****s and giggles.

In Dom1 it was used alot with Golems, but Arco has a hand up because of Astrologers.
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:38 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
What opponents you might use? In Soviet Russia, your opponents use you! You don't "pick which opponents you use", except possibly at random. That's just not how it's done, picking your opponents as if this makes for an easier game. You pick the hugest map possible, then jam all 17, or maybe just not including Ermor, because they kill all of the other AIs and pretty much guarantee that you'll always be fighting them, or at least make sure they're not AE/SG. After the first 5 games or so where it was always me and them, it started getting a tad old.
Heh. Yes, I definitely didn't word that well.

Quote:
Anyway, the one problem with the Nataraja is that he has the endurance in combat of a wet noodle. With an base encumberance of 3, it takes a lot of reinvigoration to keep him kicking, or at least a Wraith Sword, which will fail utterly against anything which is lifeless or undead, and he'll pass out like a big wuss again. If you can equip him with the items that'll give him the reinvigoration he needs, though, he can be a right mean fellow.
Great! Thank you for the advice.