ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Corporal

Frederick_d_Ohlmann is on a distinguished road
Default Some questions about map creation

I am a big user of Fyron's quadrant mod, but there is some problême :
_the game freeze when I attempt to create Young map. Does anyone know why ?
_sometime the placeholder 1 system is use (for spiral arm for example). Can it be because the sum of all system chance is not 1000 ? (I don't have check that)
_How is chosen the warp point/ringworld/sphereworld when you create one ? And the asteroid file/storm/planet ? I believe the second case is different from the first but I can't figure out how these work.
_Does the bad/medium/good starting planete check the actual size of the planéte or his position in PlanetSize ? (i.e. if the first entry of PlanetSize is 'Huge planéte' can it be chosen for a good start ?)
_If I create an ringworld, then destroy it with a modded planet killer, what happen ? Is there a new star that I can sphereworld or should I make a new star ? And if an asteroid belt is created can I change it into a sphereworld or an vanilla huge planet ? It can be fun to fill a system with 20 sphereworld in every square. (or even just hugue planet)
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some questions about map creation

1: Do you have the latest version of FQM?
2: Have you installed the imagemod planetpack?

_sometime the placeholder 1 system is use (for spiral arm for example). Can it be because the sum of all system chance is not 1000 ? (I don't have check that)
Possibly

_How is chosen the warp point/ringworld/sphereworld when you create one ? And the asteroid file/storm/planet ? I believe the second case is different from the first but I can't figure out how these work.
A random object which matches the conditions (type, size, atmosphere) is chosen from the "secttype.txt" file.

I wrote a program to analyse the data files and pull out statistics on what planets and colonies you will get for each race. It can tell you how many planets, facilities, population, resources and build rate per system you can expect based on your homeplanet type and atmosphere.
http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/...E4mapstats.zip

_Does the bad/medium/good starting planete check the actual size of the planéte or his position in PlanetSize ? (i.e. if the first entry of PlanetSize is 'Huge planéte' can it be chosen for a good start ?)
bad = Medium planet
medium = Large planet
good = Huge planet
However, if there is a moon orbiting that homeplanet, your people may accidentally be placed on the moon instead.

_If I create an ringworld, then destroy it with a modded planet killer, what happen ? Is there a new star that I can sphereworld or should I make a new star ? And if an asteroid belt is created can I change it into a sphereworld or an vanilla huge planet ? It can be fun to fill a system with 20 sphereworld in every square. (or even just hugue planet)
If you blow up a ring/sphereworld, you get a pile of asteroids and no star.
You can build a new star, though, with the sun creating component. Then you're free to build another ring/sphereworld.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

Just a clarification on your last Q; sphere/ring worlds can only be built in sectors with a star. IOW, you can't make a system with 28 SW/RW's; the most is 3 (with a trinary system).
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:46 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
rdouglass said:
Just a clarification on your last Q; sphere/ring worlds can only be built in sectors with a star. IOW, you can't make a system with 28 SW/RW's; the most is 3 (with a trinary system).
Unless he adds those 28 SW/RW's with the map editor. Doing so would allow him to have a system full of them.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

I've started on Small planets even - perhaps even Tiny - if I selected "Bad" starting planets. But indeed, when you select Good you get a Huge planet.

WPs are I believe almost always normal, i.e. "Large Stable Warp Points" with a full blue color. Planet/ring/sphereworlds are created with your own race's planet type and atmosphere. (Pity there's only one pic for a ringworld and one for a sphereworld. I'd love to see a Gas Giant Sphereworld around a star - the Krikkit Cloud, anyone?)
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Frederick_d_Ohlmann said:
Did you mean Newborn, perhaps? There is no "young" quadrant type. Exactly which quadrant type are you having trouble with? Also, are you using FQM Standard or Deluxe?

Quote:
No. SE4 places some of the first system in the SystemTypes.txt file in any map, regardless of whether the chance values for that quadrant add up to 1000 or not. You can just delete that placeholder in your FQM\Data\SystemTypes.txt file and it will no longer appear.

Quote:
Ringworlds and Sphereworlds have planet type and atmosphere matching that of your race when you create them. Created warp points use the "normal warp point" entry in Data\StellarAbilityTypes.txt.

Quote:
It checks the actual size values, using the hard-coded values. Any planet of size "medium" can be chosen as a homeworld in a game with average homeworld value.

Note that you should never choose a "bad" homeworld start in FQM. This will result in some races starting on large or huge worlds, depending on whether the game chose a "moon" or a "planet" as their homeworld.

Quote:
You can only create a star in a system that has no star. So, all that you can do is get a huge pile of huge planets by repeatedly creating and destroying ringworlds.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Corporal

Frederick_d_Ohlmann is on a distinguished road

1 - The NewBorn Quadrant cause trouble. I use DeLuxe Fyron Quadrant and the last ImageMod (I have no problêm with nearby all others mod)
2 - Thanks.
3 - If there is more than once entry that match the ringworld/normal, the game chose one randomly ? Or will he take the first one
4 - OK
5 - I will do it. I have already 1 sphereworld, 1 huge and 3 planet in the only system that can be accessed by the other (AI) players
(yes I know that human opponents would never let me build 2 sphereworld every 3 turn)