.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 24th, 2004, 02:16 AM

Private

AStott is on a distinguished road
Default another AAR

I spotted this After Action Report (actually, it's a During Action Report) of a Dominions II game. I thought someone else might be interested too.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...ad.php?t=20363
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:32 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: another AAR

Very nice! It's fun to have such an account of a new player getting into the game and learning stuff.

PvK
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by AStott:
I spotted this After Action Report (actually, it's a During Action Report) of a Dominions II game. I thought someone else might be interested too.
Thanks for posting that. Its actually a very good write-up. The guy has a good writing style. You should tell him to wander over here.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:04 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Yes, and they're trying something amusing - the readers are asking to be assigned to the guy's leader characters.

PvK
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

So how does it go? Next he discovers the joys of Ulm, then Rlyeh, then Arcos?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:46 AM

Private

AStott is on a distinguished road

That particular sub message board is pretty interesting actually. People there are fond of doing interactive game writeups. You'll find writeups for Civ 3, X-Com, Hollywood Mogul, Titans of Steel, and many, many more games. A lot of them are extremely well written, and a pretty decent number of them are reader-interactive. This ranges anywhere from renaming of units to actually having people on the message board give general orders (like a Combat Mission 2 writeup going on right now).

Of course, the main message board is for a football management game, so there are a large number of writeups for that game as well.

All in all, a great place to spend LOTS of time reading some great game writeups.
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Private

Calis is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, managed to find my way over here.

Glad some of you are enjoying the read, I'm having a bLast playing/writing it so far. I actually didn't know that the Ermor was the "uber" race against the AI when I started. I just thought it would be fun to play as the Undead. I imagine I need the help though.

Heh, the name thing is kind of a pain. That's something we have a history of doing on that board, but it'd be nice if I could do it in game. Gets a bit annoying having to cross-reference everything.

Not sure what race I'll test out next, I'm a bit worried that I'm getting spoiled with all the free troops and no supplies. I'm trying to milk every Last hour I can out of this game, so I plan on sticking with Ermor for a while.

As AStott said, the board over there is a great place to find write-ups on a wide variety of games(Btw AStott, I'm waiting on the Titans of Steel dynasty to get rolling again!). There are some great writers over there, and we have a lot of fun interacting with the dynasties.

Alright, I'm off now to peruse this board a bit more. It's a lot more active than I had imagined it would, sure I can find all sorts of interesting tidbits!
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Its not too hard to name the commanders but at the moment it can only be done before you start the game. But if you wanted to do that kindof thing then...

all maps are 2 parts. The .tga (image) and the .map text file with the instructions. There is a doc file in the doc directory telling about the commands used there. (MapEdit.pdf)

Copy a .map file to a new name. Such as aran.map copied to mygame.map

Edit the file (I use wordpad),change the #dom2title line to My Game (otherwise 2 Arans show up for choice).

add a #specstart 8 4
(Ermor is nation 8, this starts you in province 4 which is a good spot on Aran)

add a #setland 4 (so things will go there) then add #commander 260 (the number for a Censor) then #comname "Goofus" (or whatever name you want).

There are alot of other fun things you can do but thats enough for a quick answer.

[ January 24, 2004, 15:25: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]