.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 11th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Corporal

Torvak is on a distinguished road
Default So i played a bit with C# lately

Thought i'd rewrite my domsaver with it. Just to see how things work.

You can get it here.

To run it the Microsoft .net Framework must be installed.

It's pretty self explanatory. Start it, click browse, the file dialog will open the dominions2 directory. Switch into the dir of one of your games and select the .trn file.
When you click Save it will create a zip file in that directory name race##.zip. Where race is obviously the race you play and ## the turn number.

I hope it works, didn't do alot of testing.

God saving will be done tomorrow
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So i played a bit with C# lately

Hey Torvak, thanks, this sounds great.
Before I download and check it out, I'd like to ask, simply because I know nothing about computers:
1. This will change my dom2.exe and add an interface to my current dom2 game which will allow me to save games and then reload them?
2. I run my game on one machine with win98 and on another with win2000 -- do I have to install something which will change or be difficult for any of these systems?

thanks much!
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Hey Torvak, thanks, this sounds great.
Before I download and check it out, I'd like to ask, simply because I know nothing about computers:
1. This will change my dom2.exe and add an interface to my current dom2 game which will allow me to save games and then reload them?
2. I run my game on one machine with win98 and on another with win2000 -- do I have to install something which will change or be difficult for any of these systems?

thanks much!
No, it will do nothing to your dom2.exe It's just a small program that zips up your game files so there is a copy of them and the game doesn't see them any more. As a side effect they are smaller too.

You need to save before you host the next turn.

You do need however the .net framework from microsoft. According to MS Win ME is no longer supported so i'd say forget about 98 too. For win2k you also need the service pack 2 but you should have that one anyways
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

ok thanks much. I may end up not being able to give you feedback, since I dont know what this net framework is and mostly use my win98 laptop and not my 2k office machine for obvious reasons -- thanks for your efforts however!
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Corporal

Quote:
ok thanks much. I may end up not being able to give you feedback, since I dont know what this net framework is and mostly use my win98 laptop and not my 2k office machine for obvious reasons -- thanks for your efforts however!
No prob. I didn't expect people get overly excited about something that already exists. Just needed something to do while playing around with a new programming language.
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

Esben Mose Hansen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You do need however the .net framework from microsoft. According to MS Win ME is no longer supported so i'd say forget about 98 too. For win2k you also need the service pack 2 but you should have that one anyways
The desperate coukd try Mono... but surely, using the C# Microsoft framework for this is akin to using mallets to squat houseflys...?
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, it will do nothing to your dom2.exe It's just a small program that zips up your game files so there is a copy of them and the game doesn't see them any more. As a side effect they are smaller too.

You need to save before you host the next turn.

So its something that can be setup in the icon to run on your way into the game, or on the way out, whichever you prefer. It looks good.

Ive been meaning to do something like that. If I did it would be in Basic but that would have its pros and cons. I could compile it to run on any win, or on linux, without needing to download/install something else like the java, and perl, and now C# Versions we have.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Quote:
The desperate coukd try Mono... but surely, using the C# Microsoft framework for this is akin to using mallets to squat houseflys...?
Is it? It's just another language. Of course for the random user it's an inconvenience to have to install the framework but i have it on my machine for years now for other applications.
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Not that I intend to download your program (no offence obviously) but I just wanted to say I have the framework installed and it keeps giving me problems.
My current theory is that the framework file attempts to update itself over the internet sometimes, so when it does the firewall stops it from doing so, it keeps trying again and again and jams my computer, I have to run the Task Manager and manualy close the framework.exe via the "processes" tab.
Its just annoying though, nothing more...
Just thought you frameworkers would like to know
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Corporal

Well this is unusual behavior and more like a sign that something else is wrong.