This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old September 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default can you speak CGI? such as php, perl, python

OK after alot of searching I cant seem to find what I want. There does not seem to be any generic package for a PbEM-games managing web site. Much of what would work well for such a site is not too involved such as making turn files available for download. Controlling individuals access to the correct files is pretty well ironed out for any web site.

But the one stone weighting down such a project seems to be turning the move files in to the host. The generic files for such seem to go overboard with complete file-management of a Users directory. NOT what I want.

Im thinking that the simplest most secure direction is if someone can whip up or find a CGI (preferably generic to running on any server OS) which uploads A SINGLE file from a SINGLE location. Can someone show me a php script which when clicked will
upload C:\progra~1\dominions2\game9\ermor.2h ./game9/ermor.2h

or
upload c:\progra~1\space~1\savegame\mpgame_2_24000.gam ./game9/mpgame_2_24000.gam

Yes I understand that its defaults which might not work on everyones machine but if I can get a clear cgi then we can work on individualizing it. There can be a form where you can tell it where to find the file, and it can write a personalized cgi for that user. Anyway, its the starting point for a conversation.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:00 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can you speak CGI? such as php, perl, python

I thought you know Stars! Autohost ...
http://starsautohost.org/stars.htm

Maybe you can get the scripts and modify them ?
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can you speak CGI? such as php, perl, python

I havent played Stars! in awhile. By the time I got into Stars! the strategies were so worked out and formulated that I didnt feel like I was in new territory finding tactics.

> Stars! AutoHost, layout, design, and code, is Copyright © 1997-2003 by Ron Miller and Andre Noel, All Rights Reserved.
Hmmm I will contact them and see if some of the CGI scripts are available. The only hangup I have is the upload script.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)