Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM

Private

morvael is on a distinguished road
Default Adjust Artillery

From help:
Quote:
Adjust Fire button Use to adjust the impact hex of an already plotted. Artillery observers will have less delay added for an adjustment than the Battle Group HQ (if it is an HQ class unit, ability lost if changed to e.g. a tank), then more for other units.
and again:
Quote:
Keep the barrage up continuously, just adjust the guns forward 2 or 3 hexes per shift (select the gun on the barrage dialogue, and hit the HE icon, it targets its last adjustment at low delay so there is not a long wait. Then use the Adjust Fire button to shift 2 or 3 hexes if required. This is how to do a 'creeping barrage' in SP without the lengthy delays. Think of it as a preplanned fire program).
For me it seems I never see the Adjust Fire button active. I think this is a very important feature to be able to shift fire a bit without full delay required for new bombardment.

Is it possible as the manual says, and what are the prerequisites to be able to adjust fire?
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adjust Artillery

Any unit that can access the bombard screen can adjust fire, I will try & make it clearer to you.

1) If the fire is still plotted go to 3) otherwise.
1a) If the fire is over click on the gun name, this will centre on the hex it last fired at.
2) Place the new fire mission in that hex using the HE or smoke buttons.
3) Now use the blue arrows button to the right of cancel fire mission button to adjust it.

There has to be a yellow target marker for the gun before you can adjust it, you now move the marker 1 or 2 hexes per adjust.
The only time you cannot adjust it is if you have lost contact with the gun or battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM

Private

morvael is on a distinguished road

Thanks, somehow I thought that this button is for shifting the artillery in time and not in space.

Now, I will have something to surprise my opponent who was not aware of that option
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvael View Post
Thanks, somehow I thought that this button is for shifting the artillery in time and not in space.

Now, I will have something to surprise my opponent who was not aware of that option
You can also use it to shift fires forward in time while maintaining the same point of aim. Just shift back and forth between two adjacent hexes until you get the turn delay you need. Oftentimes you can also use that tactic to maximise the # of shots fired on the initial salvo(the decimal place of the delay time, .0 is %100 of ROF, .1 is a little less, .2 is less yet, after .5 it delays to the following turn)

Once you get the hang of it, you can keep an artillery barrage on-call in front of an advance, and have it ready to fire at any given turn, whenever it is you actually have contact. Generally I just lay down a carpet of fire and use my troops to sweep up the ashes, but I'm normally the Russians, it's what we do If you have a limited amount of ammo, or are worried about CB fire, OR have a "secret weapon" you want to spring on your PBEM opponent at the perfect time, the time-delay trick can keep your troops safely under the artillery umbrella without wasting any ammo or giving the opponent more chances then he needs.

Matt

Matt
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobryan For This Useful Post:
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Lots of good info,
One can learn the by trail and error,like the rest of us
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM

Captain

Most of these guys giving advice play MBT mainly,
And that's a different version take it or leave it.

Ducks!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM

General

No idea quite what you mean Gila. No useful advice just the way it works which is identical in both games as indeed is most stuff.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
No idea quite what you mean Gila. No useful advice just the way it works which is identical in both games as indeed is most stuff.
Pay no mind to me,took a bottle rocket to the ear hows that for accurate arty,

eh, what you say?
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM

General

if I understand correctly perhaps hanging out in more restrained haunts might be advised
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
2) Place the new fire mission in that hex using the HE or smoke buttons.
3) Now use the blue arrows button to the right of cancel fire mission button to adjust it.

There has to be a yellow target marker for the gun before you can adjust it,
Cross, on a number of occations I have shifted a battery without having the marker present. I did it with batteriers that had just finished firering by clicking on the name to center it up on the hex and then clicking on the shift fire to adjust it from that hex by 1 or 2 hexes. It decreases the delay by .1 from what it would have been if you center the hex and then select HE mission and then adjust (as you have described above). As far as I'm aware, it will repeat the last mission, so if you want HE where your smoke was, you have to select the mission before shifting it, but if you just want to adjust for retreating troops, it works well.

Gila, You took a rocket a day or two early by the date on your post. I hope that you didn't get hit by anything bigger in the mean time. You've got the files. Take the time you need to play/heal. Happy 4th of July!

Howard Tayer