.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road
Default That didn't work (AI)

So, I decided to see what Bogarus could do with Astral Gyser against AI opponents. 5 Kalendologists can do a pretty good job. The lead casts Light of the Northern Star; the following 4 do a reasonable job of stomping the chaff at long range...

...or did until the AI's Shedu showed up. Suddenly my Kalendologists think that hitting him with 2 AN MR attacks is more useful than taking out chaff. OK, annoying, but I can live with that...

...until he flies into my troops, and suddenly its *my* guys getting fried. AAAAAA!!!!

Is there any way to tell evoc hurlers, "Please, please, PLEASE, do not fry my troops!"
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:08 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: That didn't work (AI)

The AI do place a high priority in avoid hitting your troops with AoE.

I suspect Astral geyser being a special case since its AoE is "invisible" as spell description only shows AoE 1, AI think of it as having 1 AoE only, thus no FF issue and can be safely used, it doesn't enter their calculation that its actually closer to 9 AoE...

Maybe switch to stellar cascade? Half the fatigue, works amazingly well on SCs of all kind, also works on troops, always hits with decent AoE. Their AoE is actually recognized so they should switch to say paralyze or something if someone gets in among your troops.
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

My troops eat AI "SC"s easily enough; it's his horde of light infantry and archers I'm trying to kill. Fatigue might slow them down, but they're not high-encumberance troops that are really going to get ruined by it.
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Stellar Cascades is a great spell against SC and thugs and it's pretty good against relatively small numbers of elites or heavies, but it's useless against waves of chaff. Especially when you're fighting them with elite/heavy troops. They get rack up a bit of fatigue, but since it's spread out it never really builds up. Then your elites kill the front rank, which they would have anyway, and fresh chaff steps up.

With Bogarus, you've got lots of mages with low paths and Astral. I'd say your best bet is reverse communions and spew your favorite elemental damage. Falling Fires/Thunderstrikes/Magma Eruption/Astral Fires.

If it's any consolation, that Shedu is probably toast, assuming he survived the battle. I don't think the Horror Mark is resistable.
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

Heh, the Shedu survived about three turns before my troops ate him. That's what annoyed me so much -- my troops could have handled him easily enough, but my mages decided to "help" and kill a good number of my own guys.