ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road
Default Unsupported tanks behind enemy lines

Hi, everybody. My name is Ketch. (all choras, "Hi, Ketch") And I send my tanks behind enemy lines unsupported. (lose it, break down and start sobbing like a new born babe that just realized it was left on a doorstop.)

In my current campaign I've already lost a couple of AFVs to the AAA and ATGs that always haunt the rear areas. I'm getting better at not sending my tanks to uncertain death, but my infantry always gets left behind and if I load them up, (whether on tanks, trucks or HT) there ride gets blown out from under them and they go running for the hills so I lose more men AND the AFV. I just tried taking a sniper with me for support (they can hide better, scout things out, etc) but he got mowed down by a couple of MMGs. While I can wait a few turns to get the objectives at the back of the map, I would really like to be able to flank the forward elements and come at them from behind, not to mention raid the artilary park that keeps on routeing my troops.

I guess that my biggest question is, how do you get it to work and are there any perferred ways to get support for those units that you want to send through the enemy's rear areas?

(FYI - I generally play on 80X80 map with a battallion sized fource as it allows me room enough to flank the enemy, but not so much that I am freaking out about leaving too many holes in my line.)

Howard Tayer
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unsupported tanks behind enemy lines

Mr Ketch Sir you like to live on the edge. The question you should be asking yourself is could the AI do it to you without loss? The AI to tries to stop you doing it but its not a goal to aim for till part way into the battle & taking troops with you is important as they see the guns a lot better. If the guns are capable of destroying your armour creating a corridor with smoke can help restrict the area & let troops run up. Also once troops up as far as possible they ac drop smoke to protect any vehicles. Patience is the key but sometimes taking slight losses to get behind a force can be worth it as destruction can be dealt quiclkly as they run into your arms. Your sniper cant hide better if he unloads insight of the enemy so drop smoke just in front of where he gets out. MBT with TI good ATGMs & fair ranged RPGs this can be a tricky thing to pull off.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

My best suggestion is to dedicate some sort of mounted recon and support to your flanking elements. The AI will always have some sort of AT or AA guns in the rear and infantry if it's a delay or defend. Odds are, you won't spot those units until they fire so lead out with mounted recon and support. Better to lose an inexpensive half-track or armored car than a tank with an experienced crew. If you send in unsupported tanks, expect to lose some.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Hi Ketch,

When done right, and with a little luck, a few AFVs to the enemy rear can be very rewarding and a lot of fun. Of course, you shouldn't expect a high potential pay-off without a little risk.

My most successful behind the lines operations were achieved with stealth (at east initially) not fire power.

Therefore, large maps (compared to force size) lend themselves to success, and maps with plenty of cover but where you can still move quickly.

You must consider where you are likely to come across enemy units (especially playing against humans) and choose to avoid these areas or approach from an advantagous direction with caution.

Use fast moving vehicles.

Have a place in mind where you want to reach before being discovered.

Choose the longer (covered) safer route to get there.

Use a fast armoured car for point. Other vehicles follow the same path, so you're less likely to be discovered.

If you take infantry along, be prepared to unload them, move them forward to engage and KO ATG or whatever, then load back up and move on.

If you get caught in a heavy firefight, and you're not near your objective. Just disengage, load back up and move out; take another even longer route this time. It may be a couple of turns before your opponent (assuming human) realizes you're gone; and this can cause even more panic and confusion for him, than if you were still fighting him.

When behind enemy lines, 'hit and run' tactics will keep your men the most safe and have the biggest psychological impact.

Your enemy may have to completely reshuffle his forces to react to...
You know what they say 'order, counter-order, disorder'.

The size of the force you send behind lines, depends on your objectives, the map, and what you can spare. There's pros and cons to small and large forces.

Here's screen shot of one of my large and successful sorties behind the lines against a human opponent.

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?i...attle8civ9.jpg

You can read about this battle here:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31135

(it's post #8, Battle 8)

cheers,
Cross
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cross For This Useful Post:
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Without a doubt, very sage advice

It the given scenario, extra care will have to be taken to get to the rear of an battalion sized enemy on an 80x80 map.

Much depends on the opponent. The AI is not likely to react as much to units in its rear area, but a human player is likely to have fits. And Cross does have experience in PBEM games
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Thank you all of your advise. I'm looking forward to applying your tips and strategies in my next battle (the current one is, at the moment, too engaged in other ways). If anybody else wants to chime in, I would love to have your two bits.

Imp, You raise a very valid point. I always try to have a flexible defense for my rear units, but I do need to work better on my screening my flanks from those annoying scouts and AT teams that try to slip by. I like the corridor of smoke idea. Thanks.

RERomine, I am hesitant of mounted units, but more because I need to work on my tactics with them than any ineffeciency on their part. I don't expect loses when I send in unsupported tanks - it's a given. I don't like losing any units, but I can definatly see the advantage of a support HT being sacrificed for the "greater good." Thanks.

Cross, I remember reading that AAR and enjoying it. I try to implement several of the suggestions you gave (I'm usally pretty good about using the terrain to my advantage), but I hadn't really thought of disengaging (and thus cause more confusion) in favor of flanking the flank. Thanks.

Allow me to elaborate more on the most common of my problems in the event that it raises any more discussion. The situation - midway through the battle after my forces have clashed and meshed witht the enemy, the majority of the enemy is pinned or running. I send my tanks after those retreating while my infantry slogs through the sea of dead or dying humanity picking off the half squads, scouts, snipers, and AT teams that are lost in the fog of war. My tanks, in pursuit of the retreating elements blunder into a nest of ATGs/AAA/AT teams that are hiding in the rear area. Or I send my tanks after a plume of smoke less not far from their position and blunder into a nest etc.

I know that patience is the key, but at the same time I don't want the fleeing units to get into a calm stretch of map and rally back. I'd just as soon wipe them off the face of the earth while their running than have to do it when they're charging me, firing. Any additional thoughts, or do I just need to learn the dreaded patience?

Howard Tayer
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Ketch View Post
Thank you all of your advise. I'm looking forward to applying your tips and strategies in my next battle (the current one is, at the moment, too engaged in other ways). If anybody else wants to chime in, I would love to have your two bits.

Imp, You raise a very valid point. I always try to have a flexible defense for my rear units, but I do need to work better on my screening my flanks from those annoying scouts and AT teams that try to slip by. I like the corridor of smoke idea. Thanks.

RERomine, I am hesitant of mounted units, but more because I need to work on my tactics with them than any ineffeciency on their part. I don't expect loses when I send in unsupported tanks - it's a given. I don't like losing any units, but I can definatly see the advantage of a support HT being sacrificed for the "greater good." Thanks.

Cross, I remember reading that AAR and enjoying it. I try to implement several of the suggestions you gave (I'm usally pretty good about using the terrain to my advantage), but I hadn't really thought of disengaging (and thus cause more confusion) in favor of flanking the flank. Thanks.

Allow me to elaborate more on the most common of my problems in the event that it raises any more discussion. The situation - midway through the battle after my forces have clashed and meshed witht the enemy, the majority of the enemy is pinned or running. I send my tanks after those retreating while my infantry slogs through the sea of dead or dying humanity picking off the half squads, scouts, snipers, and AT teams that are lost in the fog of war. My tanks, in pursuit of the retreating elements blunder into a nest of ATGs/AAA/AT teams that are hiding in the rear area. Or I send my tanks after a plume of smoke less not far from their position and blunder into a nest etc.

I know that patience is the key, but at the same time I don't want the fleeing units to get into a calm stretch of map and rally back. I'd just as soon wipe them off the face of the earth while their running than have to do it when they're charging me, firing. Any additional thoughts, or do I just need to learn the dreaded patience?
Isn't that more a diving in the wedge strategy or outflanking?
If you are getting that much in your face infantry,increaseing map size would be the way to go as Cross has said.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Captain

Btw, i try to keep my core force 2000-2500 never more on a 100x100 map size so flanking is possible.
If i decide to increase my core, then i will inch up map size as well.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

If you are not talking about going after his arty park but cutting off runners keep a small reserve behind main force. You can commit if you need to but the goal is as follows. Find the enemy engage him perhaps taking location into acount. Push forward only to close range so effective not to push back.
Now hold him even considering droping back everywhere except the weak spot which you hit with everything including the reserve. There job is to advance & when you judge it safe go round & cut off. If you think this will bring fire from guns further back smoke them out. If you have a reasonable amount of transport & face a large infantry force smoke to screen to a suitable size that means you can route most visible units & send transports in to unload adjacent preferably behind for rapid point blank destruction.
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
If you are not talking about going after his arty park
unsupported tanks behind enemy lines and how to get at arty parks.
Not geting bogged down i think was the point of this thread.