Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
My goddess committed suicide - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:25 PM

Private

alcaray is on a distinguished road
Default My goddess committed suicide

Mother of Monsters - kinda snakey. Poison immunity and poisonous aura (or whatever it's called). One hydra assigned to guard her (also has a poisonous aura). So early in a battle, she casts Invulnerability on herself which destroys her poison immunity.

She might have survived anyway but it turned into a long battle because the battle set-up was so stupid. What happened here was it was a seige-breaker. I put elephants front and center. I had light infantry way off to the right and a touch back from the front. However, when the battle started, the light infantry and elephants were intermixed at the front. With infantry blocking the elephants. They got just inside the gate but then panicked. So a group of my infantry, trying to flee, continued to block my elephants. And my elephants blocked the fleeing infantry. Most of the infantry had to die before the elephants could get by to continue the attack.

And in the mean-time my goddess died of poisoning... Stupid, stupid game!!! Is it a bug? Or something I should have anticipated?
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My goddess committed suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcaray View Post
Mother of Monsters - kinda snakey. Poison immunity and poisonous aura (or whatever it's called). One hydra assigned to guard her (also has a poisonous aura). So early in a battle, she casts Invulnerability on herself which destroys her poison immunity.

She might have survived anyway but it turned into a long battle because the battle set-up was so stupid. What happened here was it was a seige-breaker. I put elephants front and center. I had light infantry way off to the right and a touch back from the front. However, when the battle started, the light infantry and elephants were intermixed at the front. With infantry blocking the elephants. They got just inside the gate but then panicked. So a group of my infantry, trying to flee, continued to block my elephants. And my elephants blocked the fleeing infantry. Most of the infantry had to die before the elephants could get by to continue the attack.

And in the mean-time my goddess died of poisoning... Stupid, stupid game!!! Is it a bug? Or something I should have anticipated?
Certainly could have anticipated it. Why'd you have your goddess cast Invulnerability? Anyway, casting a personal armor buff is reasonably high priority if the enemy is far enough away that you can't hit with offensive spells. So you should script a different armor buff to avoid that if that's a potential issue.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

No, this is typical AI behavior. Once a mage finishes his scripted spells, he will decide based on AI priorities what spells to cast, and there is a high risk of him casting something suicidal if possible. So you have to find a way of making it not possible.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:36 PM

Private

alcaray is on a distinguished road

You only get to script 5 spells. After that they choose based on how dark their mood is, apparantly.

To avoid the problem, either prohibit knowledge of all branches of magic that might lead to something suicidal (which is more studying than I want to do), or provide my snake-woman with more poison immunity (though I'd have to try it out to see if it really worked that way - can you stack beyond 100 resistance in a meaningful way?).

I did make an interesting discovery, though: poison can stack. She started by taking 1 or 2 damage. But by the end of the battle, she took a bright green 30 damage in one round.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:49 PM

Corporal

AfroSquirrel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcaray View Post
To avoid the problem, either prohibit knowledge of all branches of magic that might lead to something suicidal (which is more studying than I want to do), or provide my snake-woman with more poison immunity (though I'd have to try it out to see if it really worked that way - can you stack beyond 100 resistance in a meaningful way?).
Yep; resistances are additive. Just the Con0 Poison Immunity Accessory (Serpent Ring? Something like that.) plus the original 100 Poison Resist equals 200 Poison Resistance. That ought to solve the problem, and it's a cheap and easy fix. If you need the accessory slot, you could use spells for additional immunity as well, but I'd try to avoid too much casting on an SC pre-punching.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:42 PM

Sergeant

Deadnature is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroSquirrel View Post

Yep; resistances are additive. Just the Con0 Poison Immunity Accessory (Serpent Ring? Something like that.) plus the original 100 Poison Resist equals 200 Poison Resistance. That ought to solve the problem, and it's a cheap and easy fix. If you need the accessory slot, you could use spells for additional immunity as well, but I'd try to avoid too much casting on an SC pre-punching.
I seem to recall that you can't force a mage to cast an immunity-spell (resist poison etc) if they already have a certain level of that resistance. So a mage with 50% poison resistance won't even let you cap it off at 100% with resist poison.

This is just my hazy memory talking, someone please confirm or refute this

EDIT: maybe you could have the snake ring, script invulnerability, and THEN script poison resistance...might work.
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

if you just script iron skin she shouldn't cast invulnerability.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47011

This thread is almost the exact same subject.

I really wish I had more control over my commanders. Maybe, just maybe, that script I gave you was meant to apply to all situations?
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

This mod:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...?showtopic=377

Should prevent the AI from casting any buffs without you scripting it to.

Sadly it doesn't seem to have received much interest or testing, but I am pretty confident it should do the job.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
This mod:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...?showtopic=377

Should prevent the AI from casting any buffs without you scripting it to.

Sadly it doesn't seem to have received much interest or testing, but I am pretty confident it should do the job.
can you make a version where that's all it does? thank you.