.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM

BANNED USER

Merry Jolkar is on a distinguished road
Default Awe? Glamour? Displacement? Mirror Image?

What is the difference between the various spells that make you unlikely to be hit: Awe, Glamor, Displacement, Mirror image? Awe says people will not attack you -- so they will attack other units, right? Glamour says they'll have trouble facing you -- does this just mean an increase in Defense? Displacement says you're shifted from your apparent position: again, just a Defense increase? Mirror image -- they'll likely hit your image, not you, right? Ethereal Mist Form and Luck are similar, but just give you a % chance to be missed, right? Does anyone know the sequence these are tested? Any others?
Thanks! Merry
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Awe? Glamour? Displacement? Mirror Image?

Quote:
Awe says people will not attack you -- so they will attack other units, right?
Actually this is wrong. What happens is a unit decides to attack a unit with Awe, the Awe check is rolled, if Awe wins, then the unit turns yellow for a second and doesn't attack the unit (or anyone else since it already tried to attack).
Quote:
Glamour says they'll have trouble facing you -- does this just mean an increase in Defense?
Glamour gives a stealth rating as well as a modification of stealth that has slightly different effects when you are in your own provinces as opposed to other player provinces. The difference isn't huge but there are minor ones between stealth/glamour in your own provinces. Also Glamour during combat acts as Mirror Image.
Quote:
Displacement says you're shifted from your apparent position: again, just a Defense increase?
This is defense only.
Quote:
Mirror image -- they'll likely hit your image, not you, right?
Mirror image has a # of images and an attack has X/n of images of even striking the target certain spells/effects can bypass this. (8 images = 1/8 chance)
Quote:
Ethereal
Correct
Quote:
Mist Form
Misform lowers damage to 1 from whatever it's damage count. This can be broken with a magic weapon or high strength attack.
Quote:
Luck
Correct.

I don't know which sequence they are tested in. Except that Mistform does not apply until there is damage done, Luck is during the attack, so is ethereal. Mirror Image I believe is during the considered attack (I don't know if it rolls to hit with defense before or after the Mirror Image roll). Awe is during the attack roll.
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What is the difference between the various spells that make you unlikely to be hit: Awe, Glamor, Displacement, Mirror image? Awe says people will not attack you -- so they will attack other units, right? Glamour says they'll have trouble facing you -- does this just mean an increase in Defense? Displacement says you're shifted from your apparent position: again, just a Defense increase? Mirror image -- they'll likely hit your image, not you, right? Ethereal Mist Form and Luck are similar, but just give you a % chance to be missed, right? Does anyone know the sequence these are tested? Any others?
Thanks! Merry
This is my knowledge of how things work so far, but I may be wrong (DAMN the borked search function of the forum!)

- Awe: If a unit fails a morale roll, it loses its attack (will not attack someone else).
- Glamour: Free Mirror Image (plus increased stealth, but this is not battlefield-relevant)
- Mirror Image: If you have 3 mirror images up, there is a 33% chance that *you* will be hit and a 33% chance each that one of your MIs will get hit; in the latter case, that MI disappears (hence next turn: 50/50 you/MI). I *think* that if you get hit, your MIs dissapear, but dunno.
- Displacement: where, what? Is this from Chain Mail of Displacement? I dont know, but it *looks* like CMoD gives you Free Mirror Image

Hope that helps! Correct me if I am wrong!
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

I don't beleive the false images disappear if they are "hit", but they all disappear if the actual caster is ever hit.

just to add to what Zen said: the number of mirror images is 1+2*Air, so a really high air caster can be a real ***** to take down

otoh, something w/ mirror image but no air paths (like a normal Van) will only have one image.
Quote:
but it *looks* like CMoD gives you Free Mirror Image
perhaps it did at one point. Zen's MIQR indicates that it does, but It hasn't done anything when i've put it on an air caster.
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Sergeant

LintMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't beleive the false images disappear if they are "hit", but they all disappear if the actual caster is ever hit.

just to add to what Zen said: the number of mirror images is 1+2*Air, so a really high air caster can be a real ***** to take down

otoh, something w/ mirror image but no air paths (like a normal Van) will only have one image.
Quote:
but it *looks* like CMoD gives you Free Mirror Image
perhaps it did at one point. Zen's MIQR indicates that it does, but It hasn't done anything when i've put it on an air caster.
From what I've seen myself and heard from others the CMoD only has a better than normal defense - there's no "displacement" spell effect like mirror images or anything.

Also: I thought the awe check was essentially a morale check, with the awe modifier used as a negative modifier to the morale check. It's also worth mentioning that awe seems to only effect melee attacks; I don't think missile or spell caster units are affected by awe on their target.
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Awe does not affect missile or spell attacks, only melee and only single attack (no AoE's).