The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old February 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Default a few wishes

I recently while playing noted a few things that would be great if put in the game, feel free to tell me that this isn't possible or not worth the troubles
1)No heat firing on infantry, or at least while opfiring, reason:
Sometimes a squad appears in front of a bazooka/pzfaust team with limited ammo, they waste ammo that could be used for taking out tanks.

2)Chose the tipe of round fired(even if only against armor),reason:
Say, a tank has 5 sabots and wastes them shooting HTs or light armor, or using HEATs to shoot things that can be killed by a plain AP round.(or even worse, HE rounds!)

3)(probably not possible)HE rounds with less pen 0 results, like tank guns, shooting HT's with HE sometimes produces good results , i mean, reducing the probability of Pen 0 results for HE a bit.

is something in this list possible in mbt or ww2?

Last edited by iCaMpWiThAWP; February 7th, 2009 at 07:02 PM..
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: a few wishes

These have come up before
1) What versions are you running infantry normaly reserve last few rounds of ATW for use against armour so they don't fire them at infantry.
2) This has been discussed before & is not realistic. The crews do a pretty good job of switching ammo normally but do get it wrong on occasion like anyone would.
If you want to choose a round select it when it loads not when it fires so now if you have HE in the gun thats what you have to fire.
3) Why exactly a HE round is quite capable of taking out the HT or its driver which in game terms is a kill. The AP wrecks the vehicle with luck the HE even if it does not penetrate sends a blast wave straight through the drivers vision slot then it crashes if not wrecked already.
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:56 AM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

If there's a wishlist, I'd like to add:

Finnish long campaign!

Spanish civil war long campaign

Include allied units in your core
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

Hi All
As Regards HEAT rounds, I think the algorithm that selects between shell type is faulty.
In say version 6 of the game, take as an example senario 53, Whitmans tiger is presented with a side shot at a Firefly at 250m. Sensibly he fires an AP round.
The algorithm received some tweaking and now in win3.5
Whitman fires a HEAT round. The problem with this is that with the HEAT pen of 10 compared to the AP rounds 15 he has a much better chance of just annoying the firefly and getting killed. Dumpkoff!

With the new algorithm Whitman is being too smart by half, using a HEAT round to save AP for a rainy day because its "enough" for a side shot. Use AP nincompoop! make sure of it.

I dont know how the shell choosing algorith works but as regards HEAT shouldnt it contain something like?

If the AP penetration is better than the HEAT penetration at the target range fire the AP otherwise fire the HEAT.

ie save the HEAT for the ranges where it has a better penetration than the AP. With the current setup they are wasted.

Best Regards Chuck.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Corporal

blitzkreig is on a distinguished road

hello!

For me my top two wishes would be a bigger core ie over 200 units and the ability to have captured equipment in your core.

But saying that the game is great fun, for me the inclusion of pbem campaigns was ground breaking and has made it far more enjoyable playing my old foe Panzer bob.

"Boot 'em, don't spatter 'em!" - Heinz Guderian

Ian

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Corporal

m113apc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
hello!

For me my top two wishes would be a bigger core ie over 200 units and the ability to have captured equipment in your core.

But saying that the game is great fun, for me the inclusion of pbem campaigns was ground breaking and has made it far more enjoyable playing my old foe Panzer bob.
Yes. I would really love to have a bigger core.
I always fight the big battles, with a maximum core, big maps and big clashes.

But to all of you, that tweaks and fix, and make this a bigger game.
Keep it up, God know we appreciate it .

Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express." -Joseph Addison
(I have a daughter; I had to put this on)
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chaps there is a simple reason why you cant have a bigger core
Max core size is 200 now add a few support units & you are defending so the AI recieves a bigger force.
In reality if you have equiped your core with good gear even as it stands the AI would be hard pushed to spend all its points before it hits the unit limit.
Why because it tries its best to buy a realistic force.
Conclussion with a 200 core on defend missions if buy some support keep it to a minimum & drive one of your tank companies off the map to restore balance, or just stick it in a corner.

As to captured equipment in the core the reason its only availble to support I would think is keeping it running. Yes it might last a battle or 2 but you are not trained in its use or repair & are having to scavange parts & ammo from battles to keep it running.
If it breaks down while moving to a new battle location kiss it goodbye.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Private

Toon is on a distinguished road

I understand that a bigger core for campaign games against the AI would be troublesome.

But is there a small possibilty to expand the core in PBM campaign games. Especially if you play max battles and expand the map size when the campaign progresses

For me:

Multiplayer:

- the option to chose max core.
- that the mission types are not random anymore. But are determined with the result of the last battle.

And a probably impossible request.

For kill score to be seperated in inf and armoured.

Greetings
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,720 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfourth View Post
Hi All
As Regards HEAT rounds, I think the algorithm that selects between shell type is faulty.
In say version 6 of the game, take as an example senario 53, Whitmans tiger is presented with a side shot at a Firefly at 250m. Sensibly he fires an AP round.
The algorithm received some tweaking and now in win3.5
Whitman fires a HEAT round. The problem with this is that with the HEAT pen of 10 compared to the AP rounds 15 he has a much better chance of just annoying the firefly and getting killed. Dumpkoff!

With the new algorithm Whitman is being too smart by half, using a HEAT round to save AP for a rainy day because its "enough" for a side shot. Use AP nincompoop! make sure of it.

I dont know how the shell choosing algorith works but as regards HEAT shouldnt it contain something like?

If the AP penetration is better than the HEAT penetration at the target range fire the AP otherwise fire the HEAT.

ie save the HEAT for the ranges where it has a better penetration than the AP. With the current setup they are wasted.

Best Regards Chuck.
That's real nice Chuck, now go back and test that scenario 10 times in a row, first shot from Whitmanns tank at the Firefly and tell us all what results you got each time because it won't be what you just claimed it was. Sometimes the game will load HEAT, sometimes AP and SOMETIMES Woll will miss altogether and Whitmanns luck will run out earlier than "historical". Even the AP, when fired, may only wound and leave the Firefly capable of returning fire and sometimes the Firefly is killed outright ( using AP OR HEAT )

What you will NOT see is the same thing happen over and over and over.

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 10th, 2009 at 03:14 PM..
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

Hi Don
Quite right, I got a run on HEATs(7) last night that Im not getting now (3 in a row max).
But....
I still maintain that any gun that fires AP and HEAT should not fire its HEAT rounds unless the range is long enough that the HEAT rounds penetration is better than that of the AP round, not when its less as currently modeled.

Ive managed to defeat IS-1s with stugs and pz 4s (Korsun pocket) precisely because you can penetrate their flanks at long range with the HEAT round.
This strategy is now harder to pursue because now you can waste the HEAT rounds in close encounters. The number carried is limited and it takes a few to get on target, you need every HEAT round you can get when the time comes.

Also from another perspective.

You've got HEAT loaded and the firefly turns to face you, should have been AP!
Best Regards Chuck.