The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 12th, 2002, 09:51 PM

Private

Tezzezar is on a distinguished road
Default Poll: Are Phased Polaron Beams too powerful?

I've come to believe the PPB's are too powerful. I tend to look at weapons in terms of the damage per turn per KT of the component. PPB's are WAY ahead of the other weapons.

There is something to be said for one massive attack in one turn (ala massive Wave Motion Guns), but if your targets sheilds/armor can handle the damage it isn't a limiting factor.

I don't think PPB's should be removed by any means. But I think the premier weapon in the game should be more expensive to research.

Why not make PPB's available at Physics three and Cloaking devices at Physics two? That way you might actually get some use out of cloaking devices as well. Sensors are so cheap I find that in general people have level three spy satellites up before Cloaking technology is available.

Comments?

T-
Old September 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Poll: Are Phased Polaron Beams too powerful?

no
and cloaking at level 2 no...

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old September 12th, 2002, 10:12 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tezzezar:
I've come to believe the PPB's are too powerful. I tend to look at weapons in terms of the damage per turn per KT of the component. PPB's are WAY ahead of the other weapons.

Comments?

T-
This topic has been done to death before but, no I don't think so. It seems a little harsh when you first encounter it but it's pretty well balanced by the amount of research it takes. Yes if you know what you're doing you can make a beeline for it and it doesn't SEEM to cost much research -- but if you anticipate someone going for it, you put more effort into armor instead of shields.

[ September 12, 2002, 21:14: Message edited by: Arkcon ]
Old September 12th, 2002, 10:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

"I tend to look at weapons in terms of the damage per turn per KT of the component. PPB's are WAY ahead of the other weapons."

No, they aren't. Several weapons, including the APB, beat them out. Most effective for the relatively low research cost though (and even that can be a bit deceving).

"but if you anticipate someone going for it, you put more effort into armor instead of shields."

Opponent of mine in a PBW game did that. The results weren't pretty. Armor is nowhere near as effective as level III+ shields. Lot cheaper to research though, especially phased shields (side note: why is it that phased shields are so expensive to research even though they ONLY counter the PPB? Shields V is fine for most any other weapon)

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old September 12th, 2002, 10:43 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:

Lot cheaper to research though, especially phased shields (side note: why is it that phased shields are so expensive to research even though they ONLY counter the PPB? Shields V is fine for most any other weapon)

Phoenix-D
To some extent, MM has tried to implement a counter for many tactics. I just figure, that if every weapon had a counter that was easy to research (i.e. right off the first branch of the tech tree) then the game would be dull. Once you learned the tech tree (my method) or viewed it (everyone else's method) you could have a counter ready ASAP.

At some point the game would degrade into who could generate resources and research points faster. Which is to say who found the most large planets closer -- the winner is almost purely random luck with a touch of tactics, like Monopoly (TM)

Picture it, you happily colonize away. Your little light cruisers with Shields III and DUC 5 scouting for opprotunities -- suddenly you meet the TDM modpak Rage -- can you hold out long enough to reach phased shields? Can you save your people?

I think that's more fun than "Oh they use that weapon. Yawn. Oh well, I'll make sure I use that other component next time."

Now for Suicide Junkie's P&N, you have them alternating -- but phased shields are always weaker than normal, nice touch SJ.

[ September 12, 2002, 21:56: Message edited by: Arkcon ]
Old September 12th, 2002, 10:43 PM

Private

Tezzezar is on a distinguished road

Again, if you look at it in terms of research invested, APB XII's do slightly higher average damage but take longer to research and are countered by low level shields that PPB's ignore.

The thought about lowering the cost of phased sheilds is a good one and would be another way of dealing with the issue. Maybe have planetary and system sheilds be X+ levels.

Almost every game I've been in players go straight for these weapons. The ones who don't do so as soon as their fleets get destroyed. That's usually an indicator that there is a balancing issue.

Tesco, do you want to let us in on your reasoning or are you just representing the my favorite weapon vote?