.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEV After Action Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM

Corporal

attack_condor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dawn - one more day...

Mentocka system
Mentocka VII...

The people on the planet didn’t know what had granted them an extra month of existence, but they didn’t complain. There was no doubt, however, that the Abbidon and the Cue Cappa were allied against Dawn. Both empires had ships in orbit around the now dead Mentocka VIII. The people didn’t waste time on politics, however. They were all working on getting a third weapon platform built. All they could hope for was just one more day – followed by just one more day...

Praxis system...

The system was serving as a waypoint to Ushphada. From Praxis itself came a new frigate – CDS Cardiff. She was the last of the improved missile frigates, and would stop at Ushphada I to receive her new weapons. From Nekkar III came the light cruiser Vancouver. And from Haphik came a satellite layer, CDS Shelly. All were headed to Ushphada. All were going to war...

Ushphada system
Ushphada-Tilikanthua warp point...

A Cue Cappa destroyer had tried to enter the warp point, only to find even more fighters waiting for it. Although it lasted a bit longer, it too was destroyed. Fifty-two fighters now guarded the point. CDS Conquistador, the new minelayer would arrive with a load of forty mines, and would shuttle between Ushphada VII and the warp point to seal it off. From the shipyard at Ushphada I came the Northampton and Lugosi – the latter had launched still with damage repair crews onboard. Melbourne would finish the repairs at the point itself. Sniper returned to the space yard to upgrade with new shields and a new shield regenerator. She would return to the point soon.

Pantrissa system
Pantrissa V space yard...

A new frigate was also receiving an updated weapon package. CDS Weymouth was launched and headed right back to the yard for the anti-photon beam upgrade. Also in the yard was another of the new frigates.

Sheliak system
...onboard CDS Beagle...

Captain Cabrerra would be back in Pantrissa next month. His ship would get a refit, and his crew would get a leave – which for most of them would be more training on new systems. Cabrerra doubted a man or woman among them had ever just let themselves go with a good bottle. From what he could tell, they never were in groups of more than two or three, and that was always about some technical matter or other.

“It takes all types,” he thought.

Nekkar III
Navy headquarters...

Commander Katherine O’Rourke had returned from leave. The promotion was welcome, but the attention was not. Still, she was expected to represent the forces defending the empire in the best manner possible. So she smiled, and said the right things – about how she wished there could be a different way to resolve the current conflict – she was briefed to not use the “w” word with civilians – and how she was proud to serve the people of the empire and its friends. She was also a bit sad to leave the West End, but was quick to note that the younger captain now in charge of her had her full support as well as her best wishes for successful voyages. Finally, she was asked about how she felt that members of the Phong, a race that had killed Terrans, were now living side by side with us on three of our planets – and wasn’t that just a bit of a slap in the face?

The reporter was about to be whisked away when Katherine asked them to let the reporter stay so she could answer.

“I am saddened by the loss of life – any life. It may seem strange to have that sentiment and wear this uniform, but the truth is that I hope to prevent the loss of life as an officer in the fleet. It is good to see that once enemies can work and live together as friends. I am also proud of the steps these Phong have taken in approaching us to live in peace. With their empire still officially opposed to us, their decision to live among us could not have been easy.”

She also visited the monument erected in memory of the Leeds and the colonists of Mentocka VIII. A small flame burned there, and she laid a wreath while the flashbulbs went off. As she turned to leave she couldn’t help but notice the groundskeeper clearing the brush away from an area about the right size for another block of granite…

Back in the headquarters, O’Rourke was meeting with now Admiral Harrison. His jump in rank was unprecedented, but there was a new ship and fleet tactics school, and he was to be its commander. At least O’Rourke was going back out into space.

“I could have taken Vancouver for you, Admiral. My leave has been over for a while now. I don’t mind the time here, but there is a war on. Sir.”

Harrison nodded.

“You are right, Katherine. There is a war on. And your time here hasn’t been all about your relaxation, although I’m sure it has gotten you to want to get out of here that much quicker.”

O’Rourke blushed, and protested.

“Admiral I didn’t mean to give the impression that…”

Harrison held up his hand.

“Don’t apologize, Commander. I’d trade places with you in a minute if I could. Your little sightseeing tours here have been of immense value to us – and the empire. Of course, I do have an advantage of knowing a piece of information you don’t.”

Katherine was perplexed. Her face showed it.

“Come with me, Commander. I want you to meet your new ship.”

They were joined by a small group of men and women and went into a briefing room...

(edit: Hmm, seems I forgot to give the resolution of the Zezzis I operation. The Dawn took over the colony, and the damage to the radiation extraction facilities is being repaired. The entire colony should be up to full capacity within a couple of months.)