.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [SP] Changing AI settings in a running game

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Adjusting the level wouldnt have much effect since that only sets the points for initial creation of pretender and scales (less than you, equal to you, more than you).
I'm fairly sure that the AI does receive resource and gold income bonuses when set on levels higher than average difficulty.
Thank you for that.
All right. I couldnt find where Johan had posted here the info we had in beta testing so I went back there and asked. He has given permission to post the exact formula.

Quote:
Johan K said:
Resource, magic gem and money bonuses are -30, 0, 30, 60, 100%
Design point bonuses are 0, 0, +50, +100, +150 pnts

This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
Allow creation of pretenders with too many points and make those usable by AI only. Random selection from precreated AI pretenders for the nations would solve that.

It would require some tweaks to the UI and some more options for the Game Tools, (...)
Or just a -useCustomAIgod command line switch which uses normal pretender files which you have to manually put in the savedgames\aiCustomGods directory. Then people can distribute their best compilations.

The AI wont get the 150 bonus design points for max difficulty, but they are insignificant compared to +100% money/resources/gems.

Gandalf: thanks for those numbers.
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I agree. Seeing those numbers I think its abit overbearing.
But on the other hand, since many feel the AI is a cake-walk I guess its not worth suggesting a change.

On the shared compilations, thats been possible since Dom2 with map commands. But numerous requests didnt seem to get any action. Now maybe with the RandomMap program coming to bloom we might see some.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Corporal

QXel is on a distinguished road

Well,

If I read between the lines, there is no in-game way to change AI settings after game creation, and even if it exists, it will be useless because it's change only the pool of points available for AI's Pretender design and start-up advantage : gold, resources, troops, ...

Am I correct ?

It seems that I am going to script map or mods in a way or an other ...
Well, so, expect to see me on the map/mod forum soon ;o)

Thanks to you all.

The One Who Only Play Single Player Games For Fun, Who Is Not A Maniac of 'The Ultimate Tactic', The Negation of 'The Ugly But Very Efficient Micro-Management For Winning With Minimum Losses And Ascend All The Time'
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:31 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Not quite. The AI does get a boost in its resource and gold production every turn on higher difficulty levels.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

But its true that, as far as I know, there is no way to change that mid-game.

And AI settings done by map commands also cannot be changed mid-game.

There is a way (for now unless Johan decides it should be blocked) to make mid-game changes using MODs but it has some disadvantages. Everyone has to have the mod running when the game was started, even if only a blank placeholder version. Then everyone has to receive the changed version later which gives them the advantage of reading it.
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

If the mod only changes the AI there is no reason to sent it to the clients. Only the server need to have the latest version.
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Sounds good but Im not sure if it works.
Ive been meaning to test some things and see if I can get a mod at the host end to change things that dont have to be at the players end. Some great scenario options would be possible if its true. If anyone has tested it, please let me know the results.