.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patch notes

But you make my point for me.
It might have happened .. once.
And even then dominion wasn't the only tool.

Shrug - all I'm saying is I'd like to see 30% of the games won by dominion. And 30% by armies. And 10 % by economics.
And 5% by SC - and 10% by magic - and and and..
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:24 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patch notes

Quote:
Chris_Byler said:
Quote:
NTJedi said:
SC's have existed throughout fantasy history... everything from the ancient story of Beowulf to Superman to even Lords of the Ring !! If the SCs are removed from these stories, there's not much remaining. If you prefer games without SC's you'd have to lean towards games which are purely military historical with not even a tiny spice of fantasy... yet these games still have thug types.
None of those are anything remotely like the Dominions "take on 500 men by yourself" SC. Well, maybe Superman *could* kill 500 men by himself, but he probably wouldn't. And if the 500 men were armed with kryptonite, then he probably couldn't kill them by himself - he just has a better version of ethereal making him immune to the wrong kind of weapons.

I would disagree the Balrog from Lord of the Rings was clearly a SC as no ordinary weapons could even harm him, not to mention his rock_like skin and internal fire. Now with Superman those 500 men would need kryptonite yet according to the history of superman finding this kryptonite resource is more rare than finding a diamond mine in your backyard, so it's not as easy as you make it sound. Finally Beowulf, where he may not have been a full SC he was at least a very powerful thug to defeat Grendel, Grendels Mother and then later a dragon combined with the fact of magic items and magic armor. When fighting this dragon only one other soldier was brave enough to provide some help.

Quote:
Chris_Byler said:
Beowulf heroically defeated two opponents - one at a time. Dangerous monsters, yes, but there weren't hundreds of them. Given the amount of difficulty he had with one sea troll at a time, it's hard to believe he could have faced a single casting of Sea King's Court (let alone the kind of armies Dom SCs regularly solo).
It's wrong to compare heroes and SCs outside of Dominions to creatures/beings within Dominions for many reasons, such as there's no way to accurately distribute magic paths, research, hitpoints, statistics and so on.

Quote:
Chris_Byler said:
Lord of the Rings - armies are defeated by other armies. Do you think the battle of Helm's Deep was won by *just* Legolas and Gimli, with no other friendly units? That would be like Dominions SCs - except that's not what happened in Tolkien, because it would be totally unbelievable. Heck, even Sauron is defeated by an army and has the Ring cut off his finger by Isildur (although this is ancient history and doesn't take place during the books).
The Balrog was the SC... and all those 500+ goblins knew it as they fled for their lives upon his approach. Gandalf was immune to fire otherwise he would most likely have perished as well.