Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Corporal

PvtJoker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finnish OOB35 Corrections and Suggestions PART 2 -- Units

Some additional minor corrections:

Bunker stuff:

Unit 095: no bunkers with two under-armor gun positions were available during the Winter War. In fact gun-armed bunkers were extremely rare in general, so I would give this a radio code 93 (at least until summer 1940). The 76mm gun could be replaced by a Suomi SMG (weapon 227), which was often used for close defense of bunkers.

Unit 097: as far as I know, no captured 45mm ATGs were installed in any bunkers during the Winter War. The availability of this unit should start in June 1940 concurring with the first concrete bunkers of the Salpa-line.

Unit 098: the 75mm ATG was too big to be installed in under-armor positions of the Salpa-line, so only open gun pits were prepared for it. On the other hand the bunker version of the 76mm M27 IG was used, with improved Finnish AP since 12/1942 and HEAT ammunition since July 1944. (See the Finnish Weapons thread). The guns were captured in 1941, but if you don't want to do three different versions of this bunker, the current availability of 5/1943 is quite okay.

Unit 114: coastal artillery piece, should be unit class 254. Turret side armor should be 0.

Unit 115: coastal artillery piece, should be unit class 254.

Units 304, 305, 310, & 311: there's no record of the 20mm Madsen AT guns ever being installed in concrete pillboxes. Some may have been installed in earth & log bunkers during the Continuation War. So these units should either be re-nationalized, removed or changed to earth & log bunkers with availability since April 1940 (this is speculative, but plausible use for them for what-if scenarios). Perhaps eliminate the ones with heavy concrete bunker armament (several HMGs)?

Units 308, 309, 314 & 315: no sabot (APCR) ammunition was available for the 45mm ATG.

AA (machine) gun stuff:

Unit 046: the 20mm Breda AA gun had a reasonably good reflector AA sight, so no reason to give it lower FC and RF values than other similar weapons, which usually have 2 in both. This unfortunately affects many other OOBs as well.

Unit 048: for some reason has RF value of 1; for example the British OOB has 2.

A side note: I think that AA guns with a computing predictor sight such as the 40mm Bofors, Soviet and German 37mm guns should have a higher FC (i.e. 3) than guns with a reflector sight. Currently they all seem to have FC 2. I don't know how much difference that would make in actual gameplay, though, since I haven't experimented with it. I also do not say it should be implemented for the next update.

Unit 161: should have the same image as Unit 160. The current one is a regular water-cooled single barrel Maxim M/32-33 on an AA mount. The M/40 AAMG had improved AA sights over the M/31, so FC could perhaps be raised to 2 (Then again, it did not have a reflector sight, but just a more sophisticated pivoted ring sight instead of the original fixed ring sight).

The fact that the units 160 & 161 have a wrong weapon configuration has already been discussed earlier.

Note: all Maxim M/32-33 were provided with a simple AA sight and AA extension for the tripod, so they could be used as AAMGs. However, that was rarely done because they were more badly needed in their primary role as regular HMGs. Whether a unit representing the M/32-33 in AA configuration should be added or not is up to you, but at least you already have an image for it