.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ryan Eye MP Game (thread name changed)

Quote:
Originally posted by Johan K:
This seems weird, especially since we regularly combine these options. Could you post the commandline used to start the game please. Or maybe it is a bug we have fixed after 2.02 and later forgotten about, but I don't think so.
I'm starting my client as
code:
dom2.exe -mui --tcpclient --ipadr 63.199.8.158 --port 7011 --res 1024 768 --filtering 2

Old January 8th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Heres my windows client line on WinXP for the game I saw this is in.....
"C:\Program Files\dominions2\dom2.exe" -mwaifx --tcpclient --ipadr 209.157.135.121 --port 10000

As far as I know the host is running on windows also. What happened was almost a game turner. Im playing Man and had a sneaking unequiped monk watching troop movements. The message said he had been discovered and attacked. I watched the battle and was relieved to see that the local defense took him out in one hit. But when I looked at the map I owned the province and he was still in it. OOPS. I wasnt trying to go to war with that player. Now I owned a province in the middle of his area and right next to a castle.

Multi-tasking WinXP a problem? Ive heard it blamed for things in other games.

[ January 08, 2004, 14:12: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

SurvivalistMerc is on a distinguished road

Well I'm knocking on wood, but so far my battle replays show exactly what happened.

Since I didn't know you had to create the pretender before logging on, it's understandable that I ended up not having a password since I don't use passwords in SP. This is really a learning experience for me.

I am looking forward to figuring out how the whole MP thing works.

Gandalf...don't tell me if you don't want to since I'm in this game...but how are you acting now that you have this territory right next to the other guy's castle? (And it probably isn't me but I don't know.) Are you sending a message apologizing and telling him he can have the territory back? Putting defense there? Sneaking your monk away so that it will be free of hostile units for recapture? Raising taxes to 200%? I don't know about the other players, but these considerations would apply for me with respect to whether this were viewed as an act of war.

I also don't know about MP etiquette with regard to sending Messages to players. If folks are annoyed by getting what they regard as "too many" Messages from me, please let me know.

Maybe the reason my replays are consistent (so far) is that I'm using XP also.
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

Gandalf is playing Pangaea in this game, not Man.
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Sergeant

Karacan is on a distinguished road

I'm Man, not Gandalf. Gandalf wouldn't have lost his pretender in the first turn. *bleh*

Stupid barbarian ambushes...

So, I've been less hurt than others by two stale turns, I suppose. Well, at least I have an excuse...
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

Karacan, you seem to be doing pretty well in terms of total territory for someone who has had two stale turns and no longer has a pretender. Hats off to you.
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by alexti:
It doesn't look this way. Here's what I've observed. To make it clear further, when I'm saying that the turn have not been done, I don't refer to the "stale turn", but to the indicator in the connect screen that displays that your nation has not done current turn yet.

I've completed a turn and most players have already done their too. There was around 4 hours until the next hosting. I've connected couple of hours later and saw that the turn number has increased by one and most of players (including myself) have not done their turns (meaning their current turns), results of the turn reflected what I was expected, so I did the next turn. That was in the evening. In the morning the turn number has increased again and it was showing that I needed to do a turn. Results of the previous turn matched what I did (well, plus/minus PRNG issues), so I did yet another turn. So I've seen 2 hostings in about 10 hours (and I got 2 turn results) and I've also seen the connect screen displaying 2 hours until hosting while 80% of nation didn't have their turns submitted yet.

I hope this information may help.

Alex.
So if I'm reading this right, you've not staled at all? If so, in the interest of fairness, you might consider taking one or two stale turns, since having 2 more active turns than almost everyone else is quite the advantage.

[ January 08, 2004, 16:13: Message edited by: Teraswaerto ]
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

In this game Im Man. In the game I quoted Im Pangaea. I just wanted to toss my example out for Kristoffer to look at.

As to how I handled it, I apologized and told the guy to feel free to take it back without it being thought of as an act of war. But dont take me as an example. If anything, I will tend to be an example of doing things that no one else does

--
If you cant beat 'em, then join 'em.
If you cant beat em or join em, then at least try to surprise them.

[ January 08, 2004, 16:11: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:36 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Teraswaerto:
So if I'm reading this right, you've not staled at all? If so, in the interest of fairness, you might consider taking one or two stale turns, since having 2 more active turns than almost everyone else is quite the advantage.
I've only taken a stale turn voluntary, but I can't blame Illwinter for that
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

I think most folks don't yet have two involuntary stale turns. Please correct me if this is incorrect.