.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No Diplo EA Game - No Wankers Allowed - Closed

OK, that seems to have done the trick. One last question, this is just the image, so I should not expect to see a Map Named AlexanderNWA in the "in game" map list, right?

Thanks!
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethyr View Post
OK, that seems to have done the trick. One last question, this is just the image, so I should not expect to see a Map Named AlexanderNWA in the "in game" map list, right?

Thanks!
Correct. A .map file is needed for it to appear in the map selection list (when creating a new game).

-------------------------------------

@ All - I hope the game will be starting in the next hour or so, with or without the missing player.

-------------------------------------

Edit - Ok everyone, the missing player has uploaded their Pretender, so I have just started the game.

Fingers crossed that it's third time lucky (as it'll be tough to handle another failed start)

Edit 2 - I think we're in business. AT LAST!!!

Please let me know if you spot any mistakes or weirdness with the starts or map. Otherwise it's time for me to slip away into the background until I'm needed again.

So enjoy the game folks, and shout if you need me. And please notify me (by PM, not forum post) if anyone stales so I can look into the matter, as it's more difficult for me to spot stales in games I'm not playing in.

Last edited by Calahan; November 14th, 2010 at 05:52 PM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old November 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

It seems Calahan managed what I couldn't, thanks for starting the game.
Good luck all, and remember the game rules.
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:25 PM

BANNED USER

I've uploaded the uncompressed image file to a file hosting site, as some of you still seem to be having problems obtaining it from the links I provided.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I6ZS6743
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:07 AM

BANNED USER

@ All - Due to my sudden RL problems two weeks ago, and a fairly busy week since getting back, I appear to have forgotten to clarify some of the rules and player commitments / expectations for this game. So I will mention them now. (I will also be sending all players a PM about these rules just in case some don't check the thread. And as per Real Life, ignorance of the rules is not an excuse for breaking them)

---------------------------------

Some admin requests.

Not sure how clear some of the rules and conditions for this game currently are, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to spell out a few of them as clearly as possible so that there is no room for ambiguity later on. And I want every player to know what is expected of them as a player. Since all the players in a game are responsible for making it a good game, and it sometimes only takes one faulty spotlight to spoil the whole show for everyone.

Calahan's Admin Requests to all players in the 'NWA' game.

1 - Nobody is to reveal their nation at any time until their nation has been defeated in-game. You must do everything you can to keep your nation identity a secret until your nation is defeated in game. You must also be very careful about anything you post on the thread that could reveal your identity. Even the slightest clue can often be enough for others to guess which nation you are playing. If a player has to sub-out of the game, then I still want that player to keep his identity a secret. As my stance as admin is that a player subbing-out should not have their identity revealed until their nation is actually defeated in-game. (Which is different from the current norm of anonymous games.)

1a - There is to be no sending of anything in game. That means no messages, gems, items, slaves, gold. Nothing can be sent in game at all. If your nation is defeated then whatever resources you had at the end are lost with your nation. You are certainly not to send out 'gift' baskets to anyone upon your defeat. That only happens in regular games. Never forget that this is not a regular game.

1b - No messages are to be sent to any other player in this game. Be they in-game, PM, email, IRC, whatever. It does not matter. You must not communicate in any way with any other player in this game regarding this game. If you want to chat about the game, then chat with the admin

2 - Everyone is expected to fight until the last man, and to at least put some effort into making a last stand in the defence of their empire, should that situation arise for a player in-game. I do not want to see or hear about lazy playing such as capitals being stormed with all defending mages and troops on default scripts and positioning. Or going out with a treasury full of gems that could have been used to summon defenders. I expect everyone to have some pride in their play and their nation, and to put some effort into making sure their nation goes out fighting rather than cowering.

3. There is to be no turning AI by any player at any point in the game.

This is a golden set-in-stone rule for games I admin. I do not care who you are, or who you think you are. You could be the God of this community, or the God of this world for all I care. It is I and I alone who will decide when and if any nation gets turned AI in this game. Nobody else, and I mean absolutely nobody else, gets to decide whether or not a nation gets turned AI.

4 - Leaving the game.

4a - You leave the game when you receive the in-game message from the game telling you that your nation has been defeated.

4b - If you need to leave the game for out-of-game reasons, then you can certainly do so without the slightest problem, and this is not even an issue, as real life is real life. But be aware I will not be impressed if you decide to leave this game for RL reasons, but then still continue playing in your other games. I hate selective bailing.

4c - If RL does force you to leave the game though, then please give notice if you can. Or if you are unable to for whatever reason, then please just go AWOL, as that really is preferable most of the time rather than a player setting their nation to AI first. As AWOL means a chance of subbing the nation and minimum imbalance to the game. While going AI means either varying degrees of game imbalance, or a dreaded rollback to solve the problem. And I want to see neither of these things happening in this game. And I want rollbacks strictly limited to solving things like hosting problems and/or corrupted turn files. (and even then I don't want to rollback unless it's the only possible solution to the problem)

4d - If you want to leave the game for in-game reasons, rather than sticking it out and fighting until the very end, then Executor and I will be very disappointed given that we expect all players to fight until their last man. And it is unlikely you will be allowed to play in any of our future games. But you can reduce our disappointment slightly if you at least have the common decency to inform the admin first about wanting to leave, so that the admin can assess your position, and try to find a sub if possible. And see rule 3 for very specific clarity on turning AI.

5 - Be careful with that renaming, as it could give your identity away if you are known for using certain naming habits. Plus I don't want to hear about anyone using lame arse naming tactics to mislead opponents or convey messages etc. This is not a regular game, it is an anonymous game. So renaming is to be used strictly to help with the micro management of your empire.

6 - Basically, don't be a wanker. No lame arse tactics like copying Bogus orders, sending items to overfill labs, or probing with lone scouts and commanders to block the movement of enemy armies. If you are not sure if what you are doing, or what you are about to do is the action of a wanker, then I highly recommend checking with the admin first so he can tell you.

"Thank You" for your time in reading this. Happy gaming everyone
The Following User Says Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM

Major General

Read it, remember it, don't break it, or else the one true Admin will ban you!
Seriously, I expect all players to be committed to the fullest. Lead your nations as if Yourselves are sitting on the throne.
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Major General

??? Interesting...
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM

BANNED USER

Just posting a quick heads-up for you all that there will likely be some extended turns towards the end of the coming week. (quite surprised I haven't had/seen any 48h requests yet given the game is quickly closing in on turn 30)

Will let you all know more about the delays nearer the time.
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Corporal

Hylobius is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be on the road for two weeks starting on the 15th, so I would appreciate if we could go to 48 hours before then.
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM

BANNED USER

@ All

I've started having some requests for a 48 hour schedule. And since the game is approaching turn 30, and likely well into mid-game by now, I suspect a few more players would also likely appreciate a bit more time for their turns.

So unless there are any serious objections, I will be increasing the hosting schedule to 48 hours from turn 30 onwards.