.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Corporal

Hylobius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Silicon Wolves, GAME ON! (again) See OP for additional details

Agreed, if Rotarr does not reappear there is no use in going on, although I don't think I am strong enough to claim any part of a victory.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:12 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

Toughing it out and fatiguing out your opponents is a good way to victory in my eyes, and I'm just about burned out on this game at this point as I'm guessing you also are (unless Rotarr is up to providing more entertainment! In which case I'd perk up and go on, he has a HUGE scary quality summoned army and a LOT of SCs that I can see still, it'd provide quality battles to come...) , might as well call it a draw at this point if Rotarr is gone, I have no will to continue under that scenario.
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM

Corporal

rotarr is on a distinguished road

I'm really sorry guys, but I couldn't really make the 48h deadlines anymore. I was hoping it could have been extended, but alas. Last weeks have been quite busy at work, combined with the micro and a general burnout from Dom3 games made doing the turns feel too much like a chore to me. It's a shame though, since I see I still have a chance at coming back (500 ready and willing virgins in the pocket) and provide some quality battles . You still didn't conquer my most important provinces! I wish I had the time to have micro'ed the last 10 or so turns. I still had a blast playing this game though.

Since I stalled out the last turns, like you suggested I agree it's most fair to give you two the victory.
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM

First Lieutenant

I understand Rotarr, I was feeling the 48 hrs myself and my turns only have say half the micro yours do. T'was a good game and it's a shame I won't see your huge army and mad SCs in action more!
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:35 AM

Corporal

Congratulations to both of you then!

Too bad I didn't see the Hinnom battle, I hope my badly scripted forces put up some resistance at least.

Since the game is over now, I'd like to discuss some tactics if you're up to it. For instance how to make a better SC; I've experienced they're quite easy to hit and therefore get killed too soon. Hell, even one of Finalgenesis' raiding SC's died to a bunch of freespawn flagellants last turn :P And she was full equipped.
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:51 AM

First Lieutenant

Yeah I pretty much threw the asnja out randomly without scouting seeing there's no intelligent opposition anymore (I'll have to check the turn later today to see what happened), I didn't even swap out her anti-thug setup to anti-swarm setup.

I've avoided your gigantic Hinnom army haha hoping you'd pull some out toward South, the worst that can happen is C'tis making headway in the south and weaken you as we stare at each other (of course, if you can still push C'tis back with hinnom forces stuck up north...). I'd never attack that army head on anyway without recharging my GoH hp bonus for my main army first. Plus I hated moving my big armies, the scripting and micro involved is just too much with a 48 hrs host interval. I didn't even move my 2nd or 3rd smaller main army up from the backfield...

For anti-chaff setup I think the common lore is to have a couple out of ethereal, luck, vine, awe+fear, regen, mistform, prot + low fatigue ...etc

The less common ones are Fshield, Ast shield, BV ..etc

You'll have to tailor a bit to what type of chaff you face, and of course a anti-thug/SC set up is somewhat mutually exclusive to an anti-chaff set up, going generalist build will never be as effective.

eg. ethereal is useless vs magic weapons, thus ice weapon nations or unfrozen warriors and so on. fear+awe is amazing and highly recommended as chaff defense... but completely useless on emotionless chaffs (skeletons...etc). Fshield from charcoal shield is a bit niche but especially effective against low armor (low hp and multi attack a plus) chaff like skelly spam and VoTD, but useless vs armored troops. Prot is very important but you have to keep fatigue low, should almost always have some level of prot as a base.

Well... There's nothing better then experience, since we've called it game anyway, want to have random SC melees and we throw our SCs at each other without having to be careful? Or hell I'll just move some of my stuff onto your stack of 2 dozen Jarls this turn, I'm sure we'll both pick up a few things watching that!
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM

Corporal

I wouldn't have retreated the Hinnom army for sure, it was like the most important strategic province to keep you from swarming into my domain! Hylobius had far fewer armies to worry about and his raiders were more beatable as well (air trapezing my Niefels in before they could move away).

About the SC's, I guess I had the right equipment and ideas for my SC's, but didn't really specialize their orders to coincide with either anti-chaff or anti-SC roles. I also overestimated the fatigue-lowering effect of Soul Vortex

But sure, let's throw a bunch of SC's at each other (C'tis included). You can pick the location. Sounds fun

Oh, and btw, what kind of special sites did you guys have? I had 2 Enchantment reduction sites (30 and 40) and a Construction site (40 I think); the main reason I could summon so many Unfrozens and fully equip all my SC's...
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM

First Lieutenant

Edited (just checked my turn)

Well I'll head toward your 20+ jarls up north with my main army this turn, and we can begin the turn after. Would you prefer me to bring in only the SCs from Army 1 or would you want the whole army?

I'll bring in my 2nd army into the castle next to Hinnom to prepare for the round after that, it contains my wendigo squad which I wanted to test out (never used them before), though they are all geared for anti-thug and would fail vs unfrozen hordes.

Oh I have no special sites haha, I figured you'd have one or two, little do I know you had 2 amazing ones. you may own all the special sites in this one =P I was hugely planning to rely on GoH, which I've saved a huge pile of N early on for.
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Corporal

On closer look it seems I misjudged the Hinnom situation, I thought you took the castle already. Still a good possibility for a future major army vs army/SC battle here I only have about 6 Jarls up north left though, so I guess SC vs SC battle would be best over there. I'll try grouping my forces up north a bit.

Having a long term strategy would've been a good idea for me too GOH is a real game breaker, I'm stuck with so many useless wounded Jarls now.