.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chronicles - Inspired by Baalz, engineered by Lokean - Pre-game discussion

VPs = capitals. So they are forted and well defended. So teleporting and grabbing them is not an option really. That problem occurs only with non-cap VPs on the map and favours some nations, that can teleport easily.

LA Agartha guide
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chronicles - Inspired by Baalz, engineered by Lokean - Pre-game discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokean View Post
I believe the concern is that people will simply 'air drop' troops into VP provinces, yes? I would presume that, at 17 players, most VP provinces will be well and truly claimed before anybody has the capacity to prepare a simultaneous assault across enough to claim victory.
Well from my mp experience:

- Much people don't build even a fortress in the VP province (especially in a round we have here, with much roleplaying)
- Most of us don't use expensive armies to protect a single province, its easier just to go for the other VPs
- Forget PD, it can never be strong enough to defend against a good suited SC

I don't say that i would use such a sudden death tactic but the question is, why should we risk it someone does?

Last edited by calmon; December 10th, 2008 at 12:54 PM..
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

You could keep the VPs secret?
Give them terrain bits of
"nostart" 512
"manysites" 1024
and then set a program to grab battle actions from the game log so you can keep score.
Maybe use special unused magic site to mark it so the person taking it knows they have one.

rushes off to add that to my game ideas list
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 10th, 2008 at 01:23 PM..
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

I thought it had been discussed already, nah?

I'm for non-capitol VPs, I thought we were going for the "junctions of energy scattered around the world", possibly (if mr Gandalf helps us it could be great ) with the "many sites" tag in them. Secret ones seems overly-difficult to manage
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Yes, it was discussed. And a question was whether actual VPs with secret location was possible, with no answer. Some kind of new magic site modded in to represent VPs isn't an option, in my book, as it would be impossible to know even if you have already won! Also, placing them in the map would require an author of the map to know their location, with an added difficulty of their additioanl random appearance.
And, by the way, I'm for non-capital VPs (and 8 of 15 to win), though capital-based ones would be fine, too.
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

a site can be placed as "found" so it appears as soon as you capture the province. And they could be placed randomly so that even the author doesnt know it (only the host would know)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

8 out of 15 non-capital VP?

I thought we want a somehow lengthy game with a lot of roleplaying. This victory condition means just a quite short game -at least there is a big chance of it.

Whats the sence of secret VPs? This means the game can end in turn 10 by luck or runs untill the remaining players decided to stop it which we can already have by just using the standard winning condition.
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

I agree with Calmon, non cap vps is just asking for sudden death. Secret vps (if they are even possible?) seem even more bizarre, just like number of prov victory except it might fire way too soon or almost never.
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Sergeant

Ylvali is on a distinguished road

I vote for capital VPs. War and vendettas are good to roleplay, and when you finally bested your hated enemy you know you are one step closer to victory.

I also think it would be good to delay the endgame with hard or very hard research from a roleplaying perspective. So your mundane troops and heroes can take a big part of the story and glory.
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Magic makes for better roleplay and funnier battles IMHO. I'd go on standard

capitol VPs would enhance fast killing of nations, loss of writers, and a captured capitol is usually hard to retake from the nation itself when it can't recruit capitol-only troops and commanders no more. so if you want long wars and vendettas imho better to fight for that distant province your troops had to travel for long in the desert to reach...