.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: lab vault upgraded?

Any consideration for an option to destroy at a lab? Kindof a de-construct to partially recover some of the gems? Other games have it.

Im just a horrible packrat and I cant stand to simply destroy something I found. Im thinking that unless its harder it would make sense for this to be something where the item should have to be in a lab.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:34 AM

BANNED USER

-Storm- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
2- item bombing abuse : most often than not it was not voluntary from the player doing that, but still a pain. Is this fixed?

Lastly, do we have a tool which can tell us where our items are on our leaders? A search box, or a table listing items possessed on all leaders? try to find your staff of storm in a big game, you will understand the problem...

thanks in advance for the answer.
Good questions....and the answers are?
Old October 22nd, 2003, 02:16 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

I second that this search would be most welcome. If it will be possible, than implent this feature, please.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:21 PM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

I don't like the idea of searching for magic items. It would require a button which complicates the interface. And it feels like a cumbersome thing to make in a good way. Also it doesn't feel important unless you play a very large game.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:50 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road

I think most of us love to play huge games.
Well I think the search option would be nice, but it is not a must have...

[ October 22, 2003, 21:50: Message edited by: Mortifer ]
Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:41 AM

Major

Jasper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Johan K:
I don't like the idea of searching for magic items. It would require a button which complicates the interface. And it feels like a cumbersome thing to make in a good way. Also it doesn't feel important unless you play a very large game.
Being able to give people titles only viewable by oneself (which I believe was mentioned as patch material) alleviates most of the problem, and is simple and general purpose.

A search interface just for items doesn't seem worth it to me. However, a generalized search filter for leaders based upon a selectable range of critea (magic skill, items, type, etc.) would be cool. Then again, it'd also be alot of work.

An alternative would be a function that simply dumped all leader information to a text file, which would be much easier. This could then be searched in a text editor, or used as input for a 3rd party tool. IIRC Stars! had something like this for sharing info with other players.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:11 AM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

The one case where I'd really have liked a search for magic items would be to find the items recovered after a large battle involving quite a few commanders -- e.g. after Pythium with a communicant horde.

This could be alleviated without a full-blown search if, say, the battle report had "Commander Foo picked up ..." and made 'em links to the commander, but I don't know how much work that would be.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:38 AM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

Note that I really really like Jasper's idea. Some way to save commander status or even more..like known world status...into a text file for inspection or use in 3d party programs could be really nice.

It would be really nice if allies could send map data and a program could combine multiple map data files so an alliance could better coordinate. Of course nobody will stop you from "editing" the data file before you send it. Maybe there could even be a program for falsifying data files.

That could be fun.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:11 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Taqwus:
This could be alleviated without a full-blown search if, say, the battle report had "Commander Foo picked up ..." and made 'em links to the commander, but I don't know how much work that would be.
This is one part of the DomI interface I didn't like: it's very hard to get a global, or even local, synthetic view of your empire/armies. I mean, you can't even see a list of the units/items led by a single commander - you have to count them yourself; and you don't get a detailed list of casualties after a battle, either. This made it way too hard for me to really get a feel for how the various units worked.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
I mean, you can't even see a list of the units/items led by a single commander - you have to count them yourself;
Ah yes, that's really one of the more tedious points of Doms interface - how many units does each respective commander has under his command at a moment? Can I give him another 5 or just 3, and how many should I build then? The "fullness" bars were not really useful for this. Hopefully this has been improved in Doms II.