winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Sergeant

junk2drive is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abanoned artillery

Amazing what is hidden in the game manual.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Abanoned artillery

Simply grand, all these years didn't know I could destroy abandoned EN equipment!!! Love this game!!!

Thanks

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM

Corporal

Firestorm is on a distinguished road

Shame abandoned equipment can't be captured. It would come in particularly handy when playing long campaigns with poorer nations or partisans.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Shame abandoned equipment can't be captured. It would come in particularly handy when playing long campaigns with poorer nations or partisans.
Realisticly how long would they keep it working, get ammo for etc. A rifle yes a vehicle not long probably, especialy partisans with no maintanence pool.
If you take something like the Germans using captured T-34s about 70% of them were used as recovery vehicles & if anyone had to make do & fix things with what was available it was probably them from mid war on.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought you can use captured equipment. But you must purchase it. You could make yourself a rule that you only purchase equipment that you captured intact in a previous battle.

I have an agreement with my current PBEM opponent for our campaign:

Captured equipment: You may purchase an enemy vehicle or crewed gun that surrendered, was abandoned or immobilised, and ended a previous battle undestroyed and overrun.

By 'overrun' I mean either cut off, surrounded, or generally under your control.

I just added this to my Word doc of standard preferences that I send over to PBEM opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Realisticly how long would they keep it working, get ammo for etc. A rifle yes a vehicle not long probably, especialy partisans with no maintanence pool.
If you take something like the Germans using captured T-34s about 70% of them were used as recovery vehicles & if anyone had to make do & fix things with what was available it was probably them from mid war on.
Captured equipment certainly presented challenges, but it was done by many nations.

Here's an interesting article about a Panther tank used by the British in 1944 and 45.

http://www.twenot.nl/cuckoo.htm

cheers,
Cross
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM

Corporal

Firestorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Quite a few partisan forces did use captured vehicles in World-War-II-as-we-know-it, and this is modelled in the TO&E's of e.g. Poland and Yugoslavia.

Quote:
I thought you can use captured equipment. But you must purchase it. You could make yourself a rule that you only purchase equipment that you captured intact in a previous battle.
That's pretty much what I'll do with support points when I play long campaigns.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:16 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I think the article shows pretty much the problems, 44-45 used a total of 3 times once as an arty base then it broke down. No mention was made of it scoring a kill so perhaps HE was all it had available.
Capturing large amounts of them or taking over a country with the manufacturing base for ammo & spare parts is a diffrent story, its now become part of your force.
I would not be surprised if they often broke down on the way to the next battle if you are talking tanks, this was the after all the 1940s.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Imp. But keep in mind the SP context, where we typically choose any friendly equipment we want, and it 'arrives' with full crew, full ammo, no mechanical issues.

If you were to agree to use captured equipment, it would be completely reasonable to insist that a piece of captured equipment be available for only the next three battles; assuming it isn't KO.

cheers,
Cross
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

With respect to only vehicles only, can the be captured "intact"? Will a crew bail out of an undamaged vehicle? I think they will bail out of an immobilized vehicle, but if it's not immobilized they will rout, vehicle and all. I've never paid very close attention to that.

In general, I make a practice of destroying abandoned enemy equipment. Having it come back to life after the crew regained some intestinal fortitude is not something I like to happen.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

Don't forget about running out of fuel and leaving 'on foot' to get away. I do not beleive that many tanks were captured in battle, but rather abandoned for lack of fuel or having a breakdown.