Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI: Rough Terrain Immobilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

That dried up rough river bed terrain feature is called a "Wadi", and was one of our earlier landscape creations.
Cool, we are on the same wave length then, because I referred to it as a wadi earlier in the thread

Quote:

The Camo AI does evaluate the line of approach a little. It will try to utilise paths that avoid bad going. It will also try not to run full-tilt into sticking terrain should it need to go across it but to try to only move a hex or so into same at its move start for reduced sticking chance.

It will also try to go deep and come in from behind your flank, sometimes. I have had panzer 3s and T34 do that, usually on thick woods maps. But more noticeable in MBT where the AI has access to e.g. BMP and T64, I have had it roll up the artillery park in my rear zone when a flank was left unguarded.

The original SSI code was however a simple case of a horde of "tin lemmings" charging down the objectives as fast as possible, and the deployment for the attack was a predictable "Greek Phalanx" lined up in the middle 2/3 of the map just a couple of hexes behind the AI deployment line, for the most part.

Cheers
Andy
Tactically, it is much better than earlier versions of the code. Deployment is much better than it use to be. I remember I knew pretty much were I could lob artillery barrages and inflict heavy enemy casualties before even making contact. You pretty much described the AI assaults and advances to a tee. AI artillery would never counter-battery on-board artillery. Defense deployment used by the AI was very predictable. Bunkers, forts, pillboxes, etc., always pointed forward and placement was often pointless.

Now, the AI launches flanking attacks, defenses are more unpredictable, artillery fires counter-battery and I've yet to find a fortification buried deep in a forest defending nothing by trees. The sprinkling of mines on assaults is annoyingly devious.

In general, I ask questions because there are people who could give me the answer quicker than I could figure it out myself.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: AI: Rough Terrain Immobilization

When studying tactics there are NO stupid questions! As a Commander working in a vacuum, you tend to get into ruts so to speak. I have found this to be so true when I got back into PBEM, I went into battle using my usual tactics and strategies and got my handed to me, but, and no pun intended, I started to learn all over again. This is part of the reason I've never gotten bored of this game. AND Part of the reason we have this Forum to discuss these things. A good Commander always learns and always uses his or her's resources. IMHO

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM

Captain

Quite true. Playing the AI and people are too very different games. This version of SP keeps me more honest than older versions. My artillery has to move or risk incoming mail. In my current battle, I move my truck mounted 88s every turn. I just have to remember where I fired from previously, which gets to be a problem
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Speaking of tough terrain,
Has anyone started a campaign as US?
Starting in the aleutians there is almost noway to use wheeled or tracked vehicles they get stuck in the swamp!or the low gullies between hills.
Iv'e tried many times always the same.
Next time i will go with grunts and patrol only i just want to get them!

Last edited by gila; November 4th, 2008 at 08:24 PM..
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Captain

I haven't tried the US in the Aleutians, but have a nice screen shot of some AI British tanks moving very successfully through a swamp.
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Private

Moon Pine is on a distinguished road

Just remenber the AI tanks always ran in and got immoblized by its own mine field in WinSPWW2.
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
I haven't tried the US in the Aleutians, but have a nice screen shot of some AI British tanks moving very successfully through a swamp.
I'm a big fan of the M3A1 Stuart fast and a good infantry support tank,the trouble is i can't get them close enough!
Without modifying the battlefield to the point of not being realistic.And i wouldn't want to take the realism away
One point, i start out with a small core of 250 witch gives me 2 of them and maybe 6 scout patrols the Stuarts get stuck in the muck that is the terrain of the Aleutians,but i like to start small and build from there.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
I'm a big fan of the M3A1 Stuart fast and a good infantry support tank,the trouble is i can't get them close enough!
Without modifying the battlefield to the point of not being realistic.And i wouldn't want to take the realism away
One point, i start out with a small core of 250 witch gives me 2 of them and maybe 6 scout patrols the Stuarts get stuck in the muck that is the terrain of the Aleutians,but i like to start small and build from there.
Are any ways to move your tanks and keep them out of the swamps? The AI might be able to pull off running tanks through swamps, but I wouldn't want to give it a try.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:06 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Are any ways to move your tanks and keep them out of the swamps? The AI might be able to pull off running tanks through swamps, but I wouldn't want to give it a try.
There can be ways, but alot like threading a needle.I'm not talking about obvious
swamps,no the little gullies between levels and hills.
Just finding your way through the fracking maze ruins the attack strategy.
And invariably my lttle Stuarts who might turn the the tide get stuck with no field of fire.
But, I've read, the Aleutians in May is wet marshy and muddy if not all the time.
Not good ground for either tracked or wheeled vehicles in the aleutian soft soil.
That's realism, ohh! the pain!
I guess spending 250 on foot units might be slow but necessary.
Remember trying to keep core force low so as not let AI have too much artillery or air power.

You should give it a try to see what i'm talking about.

Last edited by gila; November 5th, 2008 at 03:35 AM..
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,724 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Pine View Post
Just remenber the AI tanks always ran in and got immoblized by its own mine field in WinSPWW2.
Really ?

Any specific examples to cite ?

A save game or two to provide us ?

Mines are only provided to the defender in assaults so how do AI tanks in the defence run into their own minefields where virtually all minefields are in front of the Victory hexes which , if taken by the human player, would be the only reason AI tanks would move from prepared defensive positions?

Don