This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI deploying/generating units behind enemy lines???

Here's turn 0 and 1, and my Russian OOB I use.

Matt
Attached Files
File Type: rar Turn 0.rar (136.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: rar turn 1.rar (150.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: rar RussianOOB.rar (23.5 KB, 64 views)
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,724 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobryan View Post
Fighting a special battle on my Russian LC, delay against a Finnish counterattack. The AI deployed units literally all over the map, including at least one platoon directly on top of a set of objective hex's...

Matt

I had a look at this

First, it a bit of an exaggeration to say the "AI deployed units literally all over the map". and........"at least one platoon directly on top of a set of objective hex's"

Less than 4% of it's force was deployed ahead of the start line.That's more than it normally would when it deploys in advance of the start line but it's still a small percentage of the AI's force. The way you described it I was expecting the entire force to be deployed literally " all over the map". As well, the AI deployed some units beside, not "directly on top of" one set of victory hexes. They would have been "on top of" the V hexes on the next turn but that not the same thing as deploying there.

There may be a slight corruption to that DAT file. I tried one deployment with the Russian side using autodeploy and it deployed some destroyed, but not repaired units, on the far side of the map. The game is NOT supposed to do that and we will keep an eye on that in the next few months.

As for the Finns I checked their deployment and I tried well over 100 autodeployements of the AI force and not one placed any units more than a couple of hexes in advance of the start line so I'm putting this down to a 1 in a million chance event likely caused by another 1 in a million chance where the AI tried to find a spot for units slightly ahead of the start line, found lakes and they ended up where they did but as I say... in over 100 autodeployments not one deployed anywhere near like the example and I can autodeploy the AI units exactly like it can

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Corporal

I had a look at this

There may be a slight corruption to that DAT file. I tried one deployment with the Russian side using autodeploy and it deployed some destroyed, but not repaired units, on the far side of the map. The game is NOT supposed to do that and we will keep an eye on that in the next few months.

As for the Finns I checked their deployment and I tried well over 100 autodeployements of the AI force and not one placed any units more than a couple of hexes in advance of the start line so I'm putting this down to a 1 in a million chance event likely caused by another 1 in a million chance where the AI tried to find a spot for units slightly ahead of the start line, found lakes and they ended up where they did but as I say... in over 100 autodeployments not one deployed anywhere near like the example and I can autodeploy the AI units exactly like it can

Don[/quote]

Thanks for looking at that, Don. I had only played through T10 when I posted that, and I guess "Fog of War" got the better of me. My first reaction was sending my reserve KV-1 platoon to the captured hexs, and I must have driven right over and past most of that 4%, as I had forces in contact pretty much from T1 to T9. Maybe I kept running into the same 5-6 units, but it felt like I had a company back there, and no idea at the time what might be in the rest of my rear area.

It actually was quite a bit of fun to play out, as I had to watch everywhere for the infiltrators that might or might not be sneaking up on me

Thanks again Don.

Matt
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You did have close to a company back there. Some by the bridges and some by the centre V hex

Don
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM

BANNED USER

Ramm is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: AI deploying/generating units behind enemy lines???

Mobryan are you using a custom map by any chance? I ask because I have rarley get extended bridges on random maps, (aside from crazy places like Finland,Mekong,Aluetion islands). I do however see long bridges when the computer does something retarded like build a straight bridge on top of a straight stream

Other than those places I have only found long bridges on customs.

Big lakes everywhere can mess up the AI, as in critically.

Multiple times on randomly generated Vietnam battles the AI was tottaly trapped away from 1-2 of the v hex groups It took a while to get it through my thick skull that I needed to check what the map looked like before I played @ Mekong, Vietnam (The map wasn't some crazy user idea either, it was the stock game size of 80x100)

You should always check to see that the AI has enough room to set up. And that he has a way (even if it is through swamp or forest) to get to all the objs on any map. If you know the AI likes tanks than do it a favour and make sure that the quickest path to the obj is not one where they will likely get stuck otherwise you will wind up fighting much less then his full muscle. Of course you could on purpose make the only path to an obj through say, a swamp, if you wanted to makes things eaiser for yourself. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to tell you how you need to play, just giving my 2 cents

Have fun playing

Sincerily,

Andrew Nault

Last edited by Ramm; March 24th, 2009 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: )()()()()(
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm View Post
Mobryan are you using a custom map by any chance? I ask because I have rarley get extended bridges on random maps, (aside from crazy places like Finland,Mekong,Aluetion islands). I do however see long bridges when the computer does something retarded like build a straight bridge on top of a straight stream

Other than those places I have only found long bridges on customs.

Big lakes everywhere can mess up the AI, as in critically.

Multiple times on randomly generated Vietnam battles the AI was tottaly trapped away from 1-2 of the v hex groups It took a while to get it through my thick skull that I needed to check what the map looked like before I played @ Mekong, Vietnam (The map wasn't some crazy user idea either, it was the stock game size of 80x100)

You should always check to see that the AI has enough room to set up. And that he has a way (even if it is through swamp or forest) to get to all the objs on any map. If you know the AI likes tanks than do it a favour and make sure that the quickest path to the obj is not one where they will likely get stuck otherwise you will wind up fighting much less then his full muscle. Of course you could on purpose make the only path to an obj through say, a swamp, if you wanted to makes things eaiser for yourself. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to tell you how you need to play, just giving my 2 cents

Have fun playing

Sincerily,

Andrew Nault
Stock Finland map, and the first one that came up :shrug: Certain areas of Finland seem to generate a lot of those extended bridges and deep lakes. I generally go with the first map I'm given, unless it has something stupid, like an armored core being given a trackless forest or something like that.
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The map generation routine is complex but it's not perfect and occasionally you will get a weird map simply becasue it depends on a variety of variables and sometimes it "rolls" five sets of snakeyes in a row and you get an odd looking map. That's why we let you look at them first and make you're own decisions as to their suitability. I still belive that in this case the problem is a one in a million occurance as I could never get the AI to set up even close to that way in over 100 tries and I've never noticed the AI set up that far in front of it's start line

Don
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

"One in a million chances happen nine times out of ten" - Terry Pratchett.

Well we know it was a least a one in more than a hundred chances, but I think the fact that it was a very rare occurance has been established.

Howard Tayer
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: AI deploying/generating units behind enemy lines???

Good day Mobryan,

Are you aware that there are a good number of Finland and Sweden maps already made? They seem well done and are mostly of real locations. Your can load these instead of generated maps at the beginning of a scenario or the start of each battle in the Campaign Mode. I perfer human made maps over the generated ones myself although I still use them, or use them to start my own creations.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OR you can use the map generator to change the features you don't like

Don