This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - My First Nigerian Scam Email

It may be the 'first' but it won't be the ONLY for long. These people trade mailing lists just like any other business community. Once they have your email address you may be certain that you will keep getting these 'solicitations' long after they have ceased being a source of amusement. Expect the phishing scams and the plain-old-spam (Buy V1@gra! etc...) to start up soon, also.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

You know what, we should have a law in place that makes our ISP responsable for filtering these scams out.... In fact IT SHOULD BE A LAW.
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
You know what, we should have a law in place that makes our ISP responsable for filtering these scams out.... In fact IT SHOULD BE A LAW.
God I hope you are joking atrocities, the last thing we need is to give ISPs or anyone permission to filter what we can see on the internet.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old September 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Major

El_Phil is on a distinguished road

700 posts. Woot.

The easiest way is to get people to stop responding. If no-one responded to scams and spam it would stop. But how you ask? Well we could try education, or we could let natural selection run its course. Most people who get scammed once probably wont get caught again, those who do will soon be so poor they can't afford internet access.

Mind you that could be quiet slow, maybe education would be better.
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:56 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

When I get those e-mails, I just wish I could write a virus and send it back to them trashing their computers. But alas, I'm not that sharp!

From what I do understand, most of those e-mails come from prisons where the inmates are sending these things out and running scams from prison! Wouldn't be great if prisons were for prisoners and not Gates wannabe's!
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Yes, I was being facious in my statement. What we really need is permission to track these scamer emails down and shut down the sites that send them out in bulk.
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Xrati said:
When I get those e-mails, I just wish I could write a virus and send it back to them trashing their computers. But alas, I'm not that sharp!

From what I do understand, most of those e-mails come from prisons where the inmates are sending these things out and running scams from prison! Wouldn't be great if prisons were for prisoners and not Gates wannabe's!
Sometimes prisoners are found to be running scams from within prisons. Most of these scams, whether '419' appeals for a 'business relationship' or phishing for account info or plain old advertising spam come from overseas. Many of the spammers have been traced back to the US, it is true, but most of the other stuff does come from gangs over seas. The Nigerians are still a major source if not the largest single source of the '419' scams. Russian organized crime is a very big force in phishing.

The best revenge you can get on all of them is to REPORT THEM.

Use the 'view source' command on your mail reader and find where they actually came from. Then send the source with the full headers to abuse@domain.name and/or postmaster@domain.name and you'll stand a very good chance of getting it stopped even if the scammers are out of reach of the authorities in the country where the ISP is located. Some ISPs have special methods for reporting abuse. Yahoo! for example has a web page that I use constantly. I guess lots of s(c|p)ammers like the convenience of a Yahoo! email account. When I get a scam/spam with a return address in a Yahoo! domain I go to: http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/abuse/cgi_abuse and fill out the form.

Phishing is slightly more difficult. You have to go to the site for the bank or whatever business is being spoofed and get their report address. I've got the eBay, and Paypal fraud addresses permanently in my address book as well as the addresses for my bank and credit card company.

It's annoying to have to report several scam/spam messages a day but I do it. If I didn't I'd probably be getting 20-30 a day instead of 2-3.
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

If you want to have a little fun, just copy the code from my sig and post it on a web page. then send them a reply with an attachment that is scripted to open the page.

Think about it
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:51 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

Thermodyne, that's a great idea, but you are not going to scare people of this mentality. They're to stupid to realize what you are trying to do to them! I like Baron's idea better. I do have a problem with Yahoo based spam and right now I'm getting 8 to 15 e-mails a day! I still like my original idea, virus them to death.
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

Parasite is on a distinguished road

Check out "Blue Frog Antispam" by "Blue Security". From what I have heard, you and all others with this system voluntarily turn your system into a Email drone and launch DOS attacks on the people that send out spam mails. I think there were legal issues with it and I have not installed it. It sounds great though, especially for the "Eye-for-an-Eye" crowd.