This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 9th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: capturing population

The transport minister isn't that smart. Sometimes he removes too much population from your home world until there's hardly any people left, and production suffers. It's better to control the transports yourself without activating the minister.
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Sergeant

Hunpecked is on a distinguished road

I'm unfamiliar with the Star Trek mod, so the following remarks refer only to stock SE IV features retained in the mod:

Climate changers: I thought only one facility per planet was effective.

Intel facilities: Isn't it better to specialize by planet? For example, if you put 24 Intel facilities on a Huge planet, all 24 will gain the production bonus from one Citizen Databank (the 25th facility). In fact, for maximum efficiency specialize by system so multiple Intel planets can benefit from a single System Citizen Databank.

Capturing population: Replace your colonists on unbreathable atmosphere worlds with captured aliens who do breathe the air--your production potential increases five-fold. Higher populations produce more resources per facility and build faster, so move bodies from worlds at their pop limit to underpopulated worlds and watch their production go up. Alien homeworlds are especially juicy targets. In my current game I recently captured two AI homeworlds intact and now "my" population is approximately three times what it would have been had I glassed those worlds--not to mention the 48 shiny new facilities subracted from the enemy ledger and added to mine.
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Sergeant

Hunpecked is on a distinguished road

atari_eric writes: "Every time the enemy does an intel hit , it will knock off some points from your last intel project..."

Doh! I just checked the FAQ and it does indeed state that enemy Intel projects hit your CI projects from right to left in the queue...and I've been weighting my CI from the LEFT!

On the other hand, the FAQ also has this: "The game does not distinguish points stored in 1 project from another except with regard to bonuses for different levels." From this I gather that an enemy project will not succeed unless it defeats ALL your CI projects, however your CI points are distributed among them. Correct?
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hunpecked said:

On the other hand, the FAQ also has this: "The game does not distinguish points stored in 1 project from another except with regard to bonuses for different levels." From this I gather that an enemy project will not succeed unless it defeats ALL your CI projects, however your CI points are distributed among them. Correct?
Correct in general. Although I am not sure what happens if you have, say, 1200 effective CI points (1000 stored in a CI2 project) and you get hit with an attack which is > 1200 points. I think the attack gets through and none of your CI are expended, but I'm not entirely certain.