.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:33 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Duel Tourney: Big money! Big Prizes! I love it!

I want the space jellyfish.....but they aren't stupid. Not if you give them lifedraining barbs!
Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:09 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

I'm in. Primary nation T'ien ch'i, not sure about secondary.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Corporal

BlanketThief is on a distinguished road

Copy and Pasted from here the main topic

This setup may change. Finalized format will go up this evening.

------------------------------------------------

THE FIRST ROUND IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN
MONDAY THE 10th - MONDAY THE 17th.

I will be sending out PMs to everyone who has entered to confirm. Entry will close tomorrow evening.

------------------------------------------------

PLAYER POOL Rounds:
If the number of finalized entries is over 16, then there will be two initial POOL rounds. These will establish a set of players that will continue onto the single elimination rounds.

SINGLE ELIMINATION
- Round of 16
- Round of 8
- Semi-Finals

FROSTED CUP CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH!

HOW GAMES WILL WORK:

BlanketThief has offered to run a dedicated server and BrainWrinkle on SA has made us a special edition of the GGS notification system that helps keep track of games. This will allow Direct Connect games, which will feel very natural in a blitz format - but can also be put on hold and resumed as time requires. This server will be up 24/7 and turns can be submitted when time permits.

This will act as an intermediate between PBEM and Blitz, allowing rapid turns while both players are able to play during the same session, while also allowing turns to be submitted "off hours" if one finds time. It should be noted that long term SA Goon games are played using this kind of set up and work quite well. The notification page has been set up and features awesome music:

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/tournament/

Currently there is nothing here, but we'll be setting up all the matches on this, as well as notifying all players. This will show the IP address as well as port for each player.

BlanketThief has graciously offered to co-admin this tourney as well as to act as an impartial arbiter for any and all disputes.

Please begin solidifying your dastardly plots and nefarious schemes. And selecting your nations.

Please also PM me with your timezone and/or times that will generally work best for you.

Thanks!

Edit: For those who I sent a PM to earlier, the info on them isn't finalized yet. I'll toss out an update when it's all decided.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Bullock is on a distinguished road

A blitz championship with money ? no way i miss that

Count me in !
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Corporal

and sign-ups are closed.
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM

Corporal

TGAs of the current map selection as far as I know.
Fourmaggedon will have start locations in opposite corners only; I'll toss up the .maps when Frosted gets back to me.
The mod we'll be using
How this is going to work:

1: Enable the mod, and just the mod. Go to Create Pretender God and do your magic. Placing a password on your pretender would be a capital idea. I don't want to hear any complaints about somebody dicking about with a turn because you didn't place a password on it.

2: Sign up at the lovely page Brainwrinkle from SomethingAwful has provided us with. It will need a valid address to send the confirmation email to. This is mainly to make my life easier and allow you to peek at the other games progress.

3: Join the game on the tournament page; The password you type in should be what you used for your pretender file. This is once again to make my life easier. The title format of the games are undecided currently, but it should be obvious which one you belong to.

4: Connect to the server!
Open up Dominions 3, click on Network -> Connect to a Dominions Server, type in my IP address (70.77.5.250) and the port number when prompted (The number will be listed on the tournament page where you signed up). Select your pretender and Bob's your uncle. Odds are some one will have to hit start the game when the last pretender is in; If you would be a dear and do so it would be appreciated.

The Two Don'ts:
Don't use 'Save game and Quit' while connected to the server. It will upload your turn as is. If you can't finish your turn while connected use 'Quit without Saving' and finish it offline.

Don't connect to the server with a half-finished turn. It will upload it automatically in much the same manner that Save game and Quit does.

If you need to get in touch with me for whatever reason IRC would be your best bet. Here's a bit shamelessly copy-pasted from the wiki:
server = irc.gamesurge.net
port = 6667
channel = #dominions
http://gamesurge.net/chat/Dominions/

Current Brackets by time-zone/availability:
Torin
Meinberg

Ghoul31
Immac(ulate)

Frosted (Frosted_moose_rush)
Lourdes

Diabl0658
Frozen Lama

Silvano
Fantomen

Maerlande
YellowCactus

Raiel
TheDemon

Bulldog
HeatExtend

Danayel
Warspirit

SsSam
Lord Xia

Executor
GFSnl

The games will be setup within the next 15 hours ideally. If nobody disagrees I'd suggest we just do two-lands only for the qualifiers here to allow it to run as smoothly as possible, but if the two of you agree on something else PM me before I get it all set up and I'll be happy to accommodate.

Please try to post any comments and what-have-you over at http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/...topic=966&st=0 to simplify my end of the deal.
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:29 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketThief View Post
Don't use 'Save game and Quit' while connected to the server. It will upload your turn as is. If you can't finish your turn while connected use 'Quit without Saving' and finish it offline.
iirc this isn't true. It always uploads on quit. Just don't quit normally, use alt-f4 or a different method of killing dom3
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Okay, I got all the way to IP and port, and then was told "The following Mod must be installed 1.93 ect...."

I have 1.93 installed, but I guess it's not your version of 1.93. Can you put a link to it here on these forums. When I click your current 'MOD LINK' it goes to the actual mod, and I don't know what to do what code stuff. Just give me a file to put in the mod folder....if that's possible.
Thanks!
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Corporal

YellowCactus: Doing save-page-as would work; I'll zip the mod up or some such just for you though. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102421173/C...BNoLibrary.rar
You could also just rename your 1.93.dm, as the only change made matters server-side only.

It would be a bit more convienent for everyone if they peeked onto the IRC channel; I've had some of the cross-forum matches potentially stall if I didn't go "Hey, you're both online!" and such
The Following User Says Thank You to BlanketThief For This Useful Post:
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM

First Lieutenant

Big thanks! One day you guys are going to get me computer literate at this rate!