The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 10th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are homeplanets affected by high/catastrophic events?

I was wondering, I noticed that the events tested are set at 90%. About one every 9+ turns.

If it were set to 1000% would this make it more frequent, closer perhaps to one event every turn?

[ September 10, 2003, 03:58: Message edited by: JLS ]

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

90% should be an event on 90% of turns... unless this is another one of those variables that is in tenths...

[ September 10, 2003, 04:01: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
90% should be an event on 90% of turns... unless this is another one of those variables that is in tenths...
Yes
Test data looks less frequant then 90%

==========================
REFERENCE

2426.0 Catastrophic Event A plasma instability has been detected within the star Keldanar Star. Our scientists predict it will destroy itself in approximately 3 years.

2428.2 Catastrophic Event News Flash! A disaster at the Bio-tech lab on Arianna VII has released a deadly virus. All travel to the planet is restricted.

2437.4 Catastrophic Event 36 million unexpected refugees have arrived on Kiladen IV.

2438.5 Catastrophic Event News Flash! A disaster at the Bio-tech lab on Arianna III has released a deadly virus. All travel to the planet is restricted.

2438.8 Catastrophic Event News Flash! A disaster at the Bio-tech lab on Ceberhardt I has released a deadly virus. All travel to the planet is restricted.

2439.3 Catastrophic Event News Flash! A disaster at the Bio-tech lab on Arianna V has released a deadly virus. All travel to the planet is restricted.

2444.2 Planet Destroyed Planetary Minister: Planet Giauzar VI which resided in the Giauzar system has been utterly destroyed, sire. We had a colony of 11M on the planet.
2444.2 Catastrophic Event An experiment gets out of control on , ripping the planet apart.

2447.1 Catastrophic Event 33 million unexpected refugees have arrived on Giauzar V.

2447.2 Catastrophic Event The population of Organia I has rebelled against us and formed a new nation.

2452.3 Catastrophic Event The population of Organia V has rebelled against us and formed a new nation.

2460.2 Catastrophic Event 27 million unexpected refugees have arrived on Giauzar II A.

2463.0 Catastrophic Event 36 million unexpected refugees have arrived on Giauzar III.

2468.6 Catastrophic Event News Flash! A disaster at the Bio-tech lab on Arianna VII has released a deadly virus. All travel to the planet is restricted.

[ September 10, 2003, 04:10: Message edited by: JLS ]

With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
If you want to use a full-fledged AI race instead of Neutrals, I suggest using the None AI type (can be found on PBW) to neuter them so they do no expansion and slow down turn processing. That can not have any affect on the occurence of random events.
With no expansion, the data may not be as relevant, as it applies to a game situation.

There will be few to no Colonies to disperse the events.

[ September 10, 2003, 04:17: Message edited by: JLS ]

Old September 10th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm... the point of the data was only to see if high/catastrophic events can hit homeworlds. It is just as relevant with or without expansion. In fact, without expansion, there is no chance of events happening but hitting non HW targets.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 10th, 2003, 05:22 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Umm... the point of the data was only to see if high/catastrophic events can hit homeworlds. It is just as relevant with or without expansion. In fact, without expansion, there is no chance of events happening but hitting non HW targets.
This may just do it, good point

Old September 10th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Lieutenant General

oleg is on a distinguished road

Very good job, PTF !

I made extensive tests myself and yes, I can confirm there is a threshold for HW events :

I set the events chance = 100 and moded events file to leave just one event - Planet Rebel (PR).

Now i run two tests , one with PR set to medium, aanother where PR is catastrophic. In all games it was me and 8 AIs.

PR-catstrophic kept all HW to rightfull owners but all new colonies rebelled.

PR-medium resulted in 50-50 split between HW and new colony rebellion. Hence, AI' HW has the immunity to catastr. events but is exposed to medium and low. I did' check "high" events but apparently they are grouped with "catastr."

Se moves in misterios ways

[ September 10, 2003, 05:49: Message edited by: oleg ]
Old September 10th, 2003, 07:07 AM

First Lieutenant

PsychoTechFreak is on a distinguished road

Good morning, sorry folks,
I am going to read your Posts when I finish work today, just one thought:

What do you think about a modded events file which is about just one event?
The best event to be observed very easily is the planet value change (by 1 per cent). If I take just this one event and change only the severities of it over 4 test runs? I need 2 inactive races for this of course, so the none-ai mod is excellent for this.
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Sergeant

QuarianRex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by JLS:
quote:
Yes
Test data looks less frequant then 90%

The list is less frequent than 90%, but that is only because this is a list of events that happened to the player. Events are still happening to other races and unclaimed sectors of space that are not recorded in that list.
Old September 10th, 2003, 07:15 PM

First Lieutenant

PsychoTechFreak is on a distinguished road

Don't forget, I only have listed high/catastrophic events. But probably we get this answered.

Setup:
2 Races (no-AI mod), one race is cursed (+100), the other is lucky (-100)
events chance 100
I modified the events.txt to ONE low event (planet value change +1), bad planet start (settings modified to 0).

After 20 years I can stop already:
Cursed race: 181 events
Lucky race: Absolutely no event

So I guess, MM's fix about event chances has been successful. But I will try some other values lower than +/- 100 with Medium severities.

With High/Catastrophic I might change to 10 planet start to see if the assumption about the master planet comes true. Another reason is the no-ai races can not colonize, so there would be no comparison between homeworlds, masterplanet and colonized worlds.

EDIT:
Changed setup to 1 medium event, same as above but with lucky -50, cursed +50 and swapped player slots (to exclude this).

After 20 years:
Cursed race: 181 events
Lucky race: Absolutely no event

This is not a copy/paste error, the event count has been the same.

Now I have got a High events game running, NO events for both races after 10 years, one on one, 1planet start. I think I could switch over to 10 planet start with a very long run soon (500 years or more).

NO events after 53 years, process time seems to be more than with low/med events. Probably the program tries to bring up an event, but is not allowed to do so?

BTW, Fyron is correct with 100% chance and one event per turn:
There are no events from 2400.0 through 2401.9. If you count the turns/events from 2402.0 through 2420.0 what is it? 181 events, correct.

[ September 10, 2003, 19:46: Message edited by: PsychoTechFreak ]