The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 8th, 2004, 08:51 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reverse thread replies order?

Congratulations on the Forum Update,.. but Yuk! The old forum posting order makes much more sense, the 'Newer' Posts are at the top and quickly viewed. With this new system, you need to click on 'Last page' and if you're lucky all the new Posts are there, but most of the time, there are only a few Posts there and you need to click back a page (or 2) to get all the most recent Posts. I found that the only saving grace right now is the "Show All Posts" button, click it and than hit ctrl+end and jump to the bottom. (But this workaround has a big drawback,.. some of these threads take a day and a half to load due to the number of Posts.

Here's a cheap workaround that we 'Users' can start, when a thread hits 2 pages in length, start a new thread and call it "...thread #2, the thread#3 etc. the number of threads will go way up but at least we won't have to scroll or jump through wultiple pages to find the info we want.

But the best thing would be to get theses forums back to the 'RIGHT" sort order. All the other forums in the world are in the wrong order.

nuf said, Cheers!

Aack! the sigs are whacky! now to try and fix them.. must be a syntax error due to the new UBBC

Edit: Sig test results.. Well, I guess the new system does not like imbedding an image within url links. Too bad so sad. I even tried inserting html and that didn't work.
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im sorry. I thought I had already posted in most of the forums (at least in Shrapnel General so I know Im covered) that the change WAS coming, that the order was going to become an OPTION in the Users profile (one of the reasons we shelled out money for this), and that we would regain upload/download capability (dont rush us)

OK, we stopped talking about doing it carefully and trying to edit all the changes ahead of time. We went ahead and threw it at you. Some pros and cons. I must admit that I had not considered broken links. I feel for the Moderators who will need to edit stickies.

But the avatars work, the old theme got converted so at least we dont have that shout about color-scheme changes, most of the accesses came across (betas still getting some), the threads survived (THANK GOD!), and the server is still running happy. All in all, as conVersions go, this is a sweet one. (knock on virtual wood)

Now I get to cring at what the addition of c o l o r buttons is going to do to us. I know it was always possible, but now its easy.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 8th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Brigadier General

TerranC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All in all, as conVersions go, this is a sweet one. (knock on virtual wood)
Could have been sweeter if the reverse order was retained...

Edit: resolved

Download Sev Today! --- Download BOB and SOCk today too! --- Thanks to Fyron and Trooper for hosting.

Old August 8th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I thought that going to a "community chat" sequence instead of a "customer support forum" sequence was the big reason everyone asked for the upgrade?

The edit window size (and I believe the forum sequence) are part of your personal profile settings. Go ahead and change it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Brigadier General

TerranC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The edit window size are part of your personal profile settings. Go ahead and change it.
It is! Wow, thanks.

And we have the option to delete Posts again!

TerranC begins to jump in joy

Download Sev Today! --- Download BOB and SOCk today too! --- Thanks to Fyron and Trooper for hosting.

Old August 8th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Hmmm OK everyone needs to go to the "My Home" thing and check out the options they have. One of the things I noticed is that the "email me when Im PM'd" looks like it was turned off. There are other new options you may want to turn on and off also.
Old August 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I thought that going to a "community chat" sequence instead of a "customer support forum" sequence was the big reason everyone asked for the upgrade?
This is not the case at all. Certainly, some whiney people on the Dominions Boards did, but most people over here were content with the old order.

Quote:
that the order was going to become an OPTION in the Users profile (one of the reasons we shelled out money for this)
The order is NOT an option though. All we can do is change the order that the topics are listed on the pages that display all the topics. Posts within a topic are still displayed in the annoying "oldest to newest" order.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 8th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Well the subject seemed to come up often enough. You cant really gauge it by how many stuck it out.
Personally I always did like it the old way but I figured it was just my customer support background.

The poll in the shrapnel forum always stayed fairly equal. most complaints were by new people. However the board format is still being worked on so it might flip around some.
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

The poll creators didn't care about a balanced result. They never bothered posting a link to it in the SEIV forums. It did not really represent an accurate tally...

The problem is that there is always room to post a complaint, but how often do people start threads to say "I like the sorting order?" Not very often at all. And when people complain, a single post (or poster) of dissention is often sufficent, so not many others bother posting against the complaints.

In the SEIV forums, there has so far been only a single post where someone said they did not mind the new order. No Posts about "I like the new order." All Posts that have mentioned the post order have stated that they prefer the old order.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well the subject seemed to come up often enough. You cant really gauge it by how many stuck it out.
Personally I always did like it the old way but I figured it was just my customer support background.

The poll in the shrapnel forum always stayed fairly equal. most complaints were by new people. However the board format is still being worked on so it might flip around some.
If you were going to take a vote, the age of a person's profile should modify the worth of their vote based on the average 'churn' for profiles of that age. This would grade teh votes based on the actual chance that the person voting would stick around to complain about the result in the future.

Heh.

I'd love to meet someone who thinks implementing that would be a good time.

Anyway, forget the newbs, they don't know what's good for them. Please flip the post order back around.

Or give us another chance to vote, another poll. Now that it's actually happenned you might get more telling participation levels.